are my rings gone

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
yureno

are my rings gone

Post by yureno »

car idles like s---, cleand checked the idle air control valve, cleand and checkd the air flow meter put another 1 in car didnt even idle so i changed back. cleaned and checkd throttlebody, checked for codes got none. wen i disconect the breather after the T piece going into the intake tube im getting smoke (burned oil) out of it. with this disconected the car idles slightly higher and smoother. wen plugged in normaly, car seems to idle like s--- wen i first start up, give it sum revs she stays up, idle isnt very stable moves 50-100 rpm constantly. wen i increase the idle to around a grand the engine revs by itself between 1000-1500 non stop so i gota have it no higher then 5-600. btw i am adjusting the idle air screw pretty often (yes i am putting it in diag. mode) btw any1 know roughly how long the engine may last, is it on its last legs or is it 1 of them things it could last a week, could last a year
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: are my rings gone

Post by Custommx3 »

First things 1st, watch your language, we dont allow cursing on this forum.

If you are wondering if its your rings, do a compression test. put a small amout of oil in the cylinder, and redo the test. If the pressure goes up, then back down, its your rings.
yureno

Post by yureno »

alrite ill try that next time i can get mi hands on a compression tester, btw i 4got to mention i do get sum oil in my intake pipe prety quikly.

ps. sori bout the swearing lol, thats how i casualy talk
yureno

Post by yureno »

any other suggestions?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Every engine has a little bit of blow by. Thats why there is a bit of oil in the intake. Make sure your PCV system is working properly. Make sure the valve is good and the vents ngoing to the valve covers are both good. I also say doa compression test and then re do the test with some oil.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Agreed, compression test, then test again with oil is quite conclusive. My ZE for example gets 190/195, then 230 with a drop of oil, I'll probably just live with it.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
yureno

Post by yureno »

wats the min reading i shud get for a good cylinder, ill get my hands on a tester on monday and post results
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

A search will tell you. Click on "Search" in the red bar ^^ under the MX-3. The important thing is that they are about the same psi.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My ze has 180 copression , n/a no smoke and turbo, no smoke either.

People not searching is what keeps this forum alive! lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
yureno

Post by yureno »

did the comp test today, double checked the readings and they read the same... unfortunately lol 180, 161, 200, 170, 120, 170, i didnt do the oil thing just a "dry" test or wateva u call it. the spark plugs r bout 2000kms old and were prety dirty, sum had a bit of oil but they all had that black layer or gunk on them. guess its time for a quick cheep klde swap then ay.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah. That's not so good. How many miles on it?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

That 120s the killer! Unlucky :|

Get a 2.5 in and you'll see it as a blessing :D
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
yureno

Post by yureno »

its done 230,000kms (not sure how much miles) and im not sure if the engines been replaced or opened up (doubt it) but i have no service history before 210,000kms so i cant confirm that. how long do u think mi engine will last like this? and quickly wats the min required stuff for a klde swap (im goin for the cheepo option) its right hand drive, i think i will need : the whole klde engine, new clutch, + replace timing belt if needed

EDIT: just thought of sumthing, if i get a klde thats alredy bolted up to a gearbox, i could just chuck the whole thing in maybe not need to replace anything or even separate it (keep the old clutch in) as the cheepest way round it. wat use think?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you can get a varified low KM de w/ tranny, that would be easiest, but if it has some time on it, I'd leave in yours, and replace the clutch. Change the stuff behind the Timing belt cover, either way, just so you don't have to do it later (or sooner). It's alot easier outside the engine bay.
Yours will probably last a surprisingly long time (several months, to a couple years) if it's not acting badly, but I'd do the swap ASAP, to be sure, and not stuck somewhere at the financial mercy of a tow truck, and random mechanic!
Min requirement is relative. You could throw the engine/ Tranny in there, and go that way, but you should at some point get the ecu.
Good luck :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”