Axle Shaft Removal

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Brad

Re: Axle Shaft Removal

Post by Brad »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm actually replacing the bearing. And now I know why I'm replacing the bearing; because I heated the nut previously when I was working on the tranny/clutch. I actually never got the nut off, I just took the strut and knukle out with the axle shaft. Now I have to get the nut off to replace the bearing. Really glad I now have an answer as to why my bearing failed right after I put the thing back on the road! I will try more leverage first and if that doesn't do it I'll try to split the nut very carefully.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Brad wrote: I will try more leverage first and if that doesn't do it I'll try to split the nut very carefully.
Honestly go rent a 3/4 socket set or borrow one from someone, you'll be amazed as how easy it comes off. I tried the normal thing with a 1/2 socket set on there with a huge cheater bar and was jumping on it(im way over 250lbs) and i couldn't break it loose.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Smith18 wrote:
Brad wrote: I will try more leverage first and if that doesn't do it I'll try to split the nut very carefully.
Honestly go rent a 3/4 socket set or borrow one from someone, you'll be amazed as how easy it comes off. I tried the normal thing with a 1/2 socket set on there with a huge cheater bar and was jumping on it(im way over 250lbs) and i couldn't break it loose.
Thats exactly what I was saying. I've used air guns, breaker bars. Some came loose, others didn't. But when I used a 3/4 socket wrench, not the breaker bar, and jumped on it, that nut came loose easy. Of course it helps when your over 250lbs. They do cost almost $100 for a good quality one, but it's totoally worth it in the end.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
bawolvesfan

Post by bawolvesfan »

ANY bolt can be removed with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a good 3 or 4 foot pipe that fits pretty tight over the breaker bar. with proper leverage and impact sockets theres no need for heat or anything. the 3/4 inch drive wont really make a difference besides being able to take more force(that you almost certainly wont need).
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

bawolvesfan wrote:ANY bolt can be removed with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a good 3 or 4 foot pipe that fits pretty tight over the breaker bar. with proper leverage and impact sockets theres no need for heat or anything. the 3/4 inch drive wont really make a difference besides being able to take more force(that you almost certainly wont need).
lol im guessing you never had a problem with taking off our rusted on end nuts that are on our cv's?. Honestly i tried 1/2 drives with a huge breaker bar/cheater bar and honestly it just doesn't budge, ive tried an impact on there to and either i had a shitty impact or iuno.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

bawolvesfan wrote:ANY bolt can be removed with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a good 3 or 4 foot pipe that fits pretty tight over the breaker bar. with proper leverage and impact sockets theres no need for heat or anything. the 3/4 inch drive wont really make a difference besides being able to take more force(that you almost certainly wont need).
I've got two broken 1/2" breaker bars for evidence, why the 3/4 is used. Most of the hub nuts I've broken have been frozen in place. If you can get it off with a 1/2" and not break it, consider yourself lucky.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

If you can get a 250-300ft/lb impact (mine's electric) they seem to work when all else fails, sometimes it takes upwards of 30 sec or so though. This always worked for me when I worked in a garage, as well you should use 3/4" drive stuff, better safe than broken.
se7en

Post by se7en »

ya, I had trouble with this too, I just used a quality snap-on impact. Came out no prob :)

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

My air impact wrench rated at 400ft/lb didn't budge either of them.
I used a six foot scaffolding pole with a 1/2" drive breaker bar in the middle - taller than me ;) that did the trick! But the car was lifting up before they broke loose - had to be careful it didnt come of the stands :roll:
I also heated it up and put some candle wax in the threads (read that somewhere and I was desparate! lol)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I had some major difficulties last week trying to get the axle nut off... had to borrow barry's 5 ft pipe - I broke one 1/2" breaker bar then got a better one and used the pipe... I used an impact gun for a little bit as well...

marco did you have the car on jacks when you removed the bolt?! I have always left the car on the ground when I remove them...
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

lol yea but you're probably sensible :oops:
I soon realised that was a bad idea but was too lazy to drop 2axle stands,2 jacks and remove 2tyres underneath so just persevered :)
(and yes I'm paranoid about being under a car)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Sorry to bump the old thread. I just got mine off today. Took me and my dad about 30 mins to get both off. We just ground them out kind of, and jumped on our 33-34mm? wrench. Came off. Wrecked the threads but who cares I got all new driveshafts anyways!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”