Advice on Ground Control Coilovers (Spring Rates)

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
millaj01

Advice on Ground Control Coilovers (Spring Rates)

Post by millaj01 »

Hi Fellas,

A few years back I did the ZX2 strut conversion and paired them with the H&R sport springs on my GS. Needless to say, I've been very happy with that setup, but didn't drive the car in the snow.

Now my situation is different and I find myself needing to drive this car in the snow...and with it being lowered so much, that just isn't going to work. So, I want to pair up the struts with the Ground Control coilovers that seem to be the consensus part to get for having to raise and lower the MX-3 in this type of situation.

Now I've found this http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... .php?II=31 link for the buy thx to the forums. However, I'm curious what spring rates I should request? I'll want to ideally have something 'middle ground' where it's decently stiff in the summer when I have it lowered, but tolerably soft in the winter when I raise it. Any suggestions? Also, they ask that you specify the type of strut you're pairing with the coilovers...I know the ZX2 struts are Tokico...but 'Premium Performance' or 'Illumina'? I'm guessing the former.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. I appreciate all the info this board has provided through the years.
'93 MX-3 GS Image
solo_ryder

Re: Advice on Ground Control Coilovers (Spring Rates)

Post by solo_ryder »

Ok, well for the spring rate question, you can go with the standard MX3 GS spring rate.. I am running the zx2/GC combo on my car and I find that even the spring rate offered (ordered from corksport) they are abit to stiff for the shock, I have a bit of bounce in the front as the valving is not aggressive enough from the zx2's but it is acceptable for me.

The ZX2's are better then the Tokico HP's but for valving's sake you would not want to go with a higher spring rate then what they would offer stock in the GC.. I cant remember exactly but I think it somewhere like 220-240F 160-180R.. Not 100% on that

However, I do have another solution for you..

Instead of wearing out your zx2's and ground controls (if you were to get them) in the harsh winter (why would you want a stiff ride in the winter?) go get a set of used STOCK mx3 shocks and coils from someone on the board.. and come spring you can swap over your other suspension setup..

Trust me, winter does a beating on the car.
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

Hey Solo,

Thanks for the great info. The spring rates you mention sound in the ballpark from what I recall the stock rates are as well.

Regarding your question regarding using the GC setup vs. keeping my existing ZX2/H&R one and simply swapping the stock strut/spring when needed....well, it's really the simple convenience of it. Or at least my perceived convenience of the scenario.

I'm planning on buying some plain steel wheels and Blizzaks to swap for the winter (vs. my current 17's + Kumhos). In the winter and spring I'd just jack the car up, throw the appropriate tire/wheel combo on for the season, and spin the GC's to the right height to match what I needed. Low in the summer for handling, higher in the winter for ground clearance so I don't act like a snowplow.

That sounds tons easier to me than having to swap out all 4 corner's spring/strut combo each season. I just figured I'd need to determine the best compromise spring rate that's middle ground for each application. Plus, the higher profile Blizzaks on smaller diameter wheels should cushion the ride a good deal more in the winter as well.

I figured I wouldn't be the first person doing this kinda thing with the Ground Controls....using them for seasonal ride height changes......I'm not am I?
'93 MX-3 GS Image
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I am not planning on changing my wheels/tires, but am going to raise the car slightly for winter. I'm running a much more aggressive 300f 200r spring rate, which I know will degrade the zx2's faster. It is certainly rough over bumps.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I see what you are saying, it is ABIT easier to do that yes.. But you are only doing it 2 times a year right..

You just need to undo the bottom bolts and the 4 top bolts and swap out the assembly.. IDK I just have a thing against using expensive suspension in the winter I guess. Either option will work as you can raise the car up abit with the GC's

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”