klze or kfze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
The1KingBob

klze or kfze

Post by The1KingBob »

So I have been hunting around trying to figure out if I want to stick the 2.0 or the 2.5 in my GS... I know many people are going to say klze all the way because of the added HP...
But how much more work and money is it going to be to install the kl over kf.
How much of the k8 is going to work with the kf? kl?

If I am going to have too get just as much crap for the kl as the kf I should front the money for the larger more powerful engine.

Another issue I am having is... What tranny? Can someone post a tread that is solid and true, I have found a lot of stuff online but have just gotten a little confused. I have read that almost all the trannies will work with the k8 kl and kf engines, but does it make sense to use the k8 tranny with a klze? I am assuming not. I saw on one of the jdm sites a engine and tranny klze for ~1300 i think? ( thanks for that post... really nice ).

Either way I have a fluttering k8 that idles funny and ticks really loud... and i figured why spend couple hundred bucks on fixing it... when i could spend twice that and get something thats a little more enjoyable :)... Sadly the tranny is f-ed up too...

So should I get a kf with a ____ (please insert best answer hear ahah) tranny.... or spend even more :roll: and get a klze with the mated tranny.
mx3boyze

Re: klze or kfze

Post by mx3boyze »

KLZE would be just as easy as any other swap, and the K8 Tranny can be and is used with the all KL engines. That JDM tranny you saw was most likely the LSD transmission.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

KLZE, people seem to run into trouble with the KF. If your going to all that effort, may as well put a klze in ;)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
The1KingBob

Post by The1KingBob »

http://www.rimsandthings.com/jdm-engine-mazda-klze.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not sure if a stick.. it has linkages so i would guess so?
http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_ ... =78&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 5 speed for sure.
these are the tranny engine combos... I would use my k8 tranny but 2nd gear sincro is all f-ed up... the tranny was abused so i think i would rather just buy a jdm... unless this is a bad idea? Whats the difference between the klze and k8 stock tranny? im not even sure if the tranny on that site is a stick
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

might as well just get a curve neck and a k8 tranny with a clutch that fits your budget and call it a day. bolt ons are your choice.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
The1KingBob

Post by The1KingBob »

only problem is my k8 tranny is poop... should i get a klze without the tranny ( curve neck ) ... and take the money i saved and have my k8 tranny rebuild?

whats the difference between the trannys?
some one point me to a good tranny guide?
k8 gears closer? since made for a smaller engine? which would give me better accel i guess but at the cost of gas mileage?
I just replaced the clutch flywheel and bla bla on my k8 combo... will these parts carry over? or will the added hp make this not a great idea?
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Buying another trannsmission would be cheaper than a rebuild and a hell of alot easier not to mention faster. You will deffinatly need a new clutch to hold up to the ZE's power if you put a new stock K8 clutch in before. I beleive the KLZE was only mated with an Auto tranny in japan is why everyone uses the K8 Transmission. Everyone either uses a K8/Probe GT Tranny which are the same or a MX-6/626 tranny both of which have a taller 5th gear. Mooneggs has a 626 transmission mated to his ZE, you could possibly PM him and ask how much of a difference there really is.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

No difference between the trannies except for the final gear. Theres no comparison, go KLZE, buy any tranny used, get a clutch, get a Probinator ECU, and then have a blast with your new performance MX3.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
The1KingBob

Post by The1KingBob »

im going to look dumb here..is probinator a brand or are you referring to a probe gt ecu ahhaha o.O im such a noob...
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Illa Killa wrote:No difference between the trannies except for the final gear. Theres no comparison, go KLZE, buy any tranny used, get a clutch, get a Probinator ECU, and then have a blast with your new performance MX3.
Unless you are part of the OBD-II crowd...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
The1KingBob

Post by The1KingBob »

can i not just pull a ecu from a 626 or gt probe?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The1KingBob wrote:
whats the difference between the trannys?
some one point me to a good tranny guide?
k8 gears closer? since made for a smaller engine? which would give me better accel i guess but at the cost of gas mileage?
I just replaced the clutch flywheel and bla bla on my k8 combo... will these parts carry over? or will the added hp make this not a great idea?
Not much for tranny guides, basically:
Mx-3/Probe: 4.38:1 final drive
Mx-6/626: 4.11:1 final drive w/longer 5th gear

You are right, the K8 tranny is designed for a smaller engine. Mind you the Probe's is identical, but they did use larger tire/rim combo on the Probe to compensate it and compared to the Mx-6. Although your logic is right, most find the gears are TOO short and that the 4.11:1 are mated better to the power of the ZE in an Mx-3, but there are a few that say otherwise, so it's hard to say. But in the end, most just use their stock K8 tranny.

K8 flywheel is no problem, it's actually a common mod amungst Probe/Mx6ers because it's lighter. Just go with clutch from a reputable manufacturer to that it'll handle the power reliably

The curved-neck ZE was auto only (like Millenia, but it's JDM counterpart). There's manual trannys availble, even an LSD, but it's almost impossible to find one that uses our spline count of our axles.

As for motor, you'd be better off with a DE than a KF, but in the end, ZE the cats meow
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

go to tiger they have like 5 lsd trannies for KL all the time
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

yes and tiger even has some with the inbound axle stub too.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

omg... why would you want a kf?

its the SAME effort as a de or ze...

WHY?!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”