KLZE Fuel economy questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

KLZE Fuel economy questions

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey guys,

I havent really made a NEW post in some time. I was thinking the other day about members on the board here getting 25mpg or more with their KLZE's. I was NEVER able to get good mileage on either of my KL motors. I really don't understand why these others were able to do this. I know that some of it is attributed to driving style, but even if I take it easy, it does not make a significant difference.

So I guess my question is, what was I missing that would cause my shitty mileage...

I ran a open exhaust, no cat, just a 18" resonator, 2.5" pipe, headers and a muffler.
I ran older O2 sensors from a k8. However, my A/F seemed pretty prime when I ran my wideband sensor.
I ran a variety of ECU's with no success for the fuel mileage (kl36, KL01, K8, Chipped KL01)
3" intake pipe with a steel filter, pretty much no restriction!
Always ran 91-94 octane fuel
New fuel filter
No A/C

Any ideas? Would having no cat effect my mileage? I know most would say 02's, but my A/F was always stoich..
hgallegos915

Re: KLZE Fuel economy questions

Post by hgallegos915 »

I get an average of 27 mpg to 30

with premium unleaded.

regular unleaded i get like 25
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

What do you attribute to help you get that mileage?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Driving it normal.

but then again its hard when you have a ze LOL

I have a findaza flywheel which helps a bit in mpg.

I also have a wideband and an afpr.

I have the psi set at 15.

and I got a walbro pump.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

A-Ha, the old dial the AFPR psi down trick. I heard people did that to help pass emissions but for normal driving I haven't read of anyone commenting on doing that. Usually the PSI is set at 45 correct so 15 is pretty low. Is there any chance of burning your valves from leaning it out like that?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Im not leaning out tho... i have a wideband that tells me if im leaning or not. At wide open throttle at 15 psi im at 11.5 air fuel ratios. I do jhave to readjust whenever I make the mistake or fueling with regular gas. I have to make it richet, like 17 - 18 psi.

The reason its to slow its because i have a walbro fuel pump.

If i had the stock pump im sure it would be higher.

i think 45 is where the injectors max out? i tought it was 30 psi the stock pressure.

I do notice my pressure goes up as i rev it to like 25, so i assume i have a rising rate regulator.

I get great mileage tho,

use premium fuel on the klze always. I dont.. but I pay for it in the end in my wallet anyway.
-hec

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I only get higher than 25 mpg when I take a trip (mostly highway driving) and then I get about 30 or so...

I attribute it to my 626 tranny... I have also noticed better mpg since I switched to amsoil
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

I have ZE with 31" glass pack, and magnaflow muffler with ebay headers, CAI, Fidanza flywheel with 17" rims, pretty light. I just took a trip and I got about 30mpg with the A/C on. In the city I am getting around 23. I'm using 89 octane from Shell mostly. I wouldn't expect much more from the motor especially with the hard driving I do once in a while.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

What are you all running for ecu's and VAF's
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

jdm for both
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

my klze cant get much better then 25 onthe highway with my afpr down to 25psi. i know mooneggs and fowljesse are getting more then 30mpg. but also may be that i have kl31 cams compared to kl 01 cams just a thought also maybe intake design as well. :shrug:
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

stereoking15 wrote:my klze cant get much better then 25 onthe highway with my afpr down to 25psi. i know mooneggs and fowljesse are getting more then 30mpg. but also may be that i have kl31 cams compared to kl 01 cams just a thought also maybe intake design as well. :shrug:
well even though you are using an afpr, doesn't the k8 ecu still dump more fuel in?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

If you are using the k8 ecu i highly doubt anyone is getting 25mpg, i ran that setup on my first motor and that was ghetto. If I did get a ZE, it would be a kl31 cammed motor, curve neck IM and a k8 chipped ecu or a kl31/36 combo
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm going to say that I get roughly 420km on 31L on fuel with my Probinator. Best I've done is 510km on 39L

3.785411784 is how many liters in a US Gallon

8.189333 gallons to 260.975901 miles = 31.86MPG

10.30271 gallons to 316.899308 miles = 30.76MPG

So my Mx-3 averaged about 31MPG. I used to get upto 450 on 31L with my KL36, which is about 34MPG. Those numbers usually involve hard driving too. That 510km tank we must of averaged 160km/h that trip, hitting over 200 frequently, made awesome time cutting about 2 hours off normally a 6+ hour trip. I've never tried a driving in a "pure economy" mode, but considering how well she was on gas, and how fun she's to drive, why would I want to, lol.

My setup is a KL01 Curved-Neck ZE. KL36 ECU with a JE50 VAF, changed to a Probiantor in a K8 ECU, modified-to-fit OBX headers with new 02 sensors, 2.5" crush bent exhaust with a Magnaflow high-flow cat and no resonator, stock FPR with a low-pressure Walbro 255LPH fuel pump. Original Mx-3 tranny with Mx-3 flywheel. Usually running Sonoco 94, or the highest octane I can get.

Just a note, I ran a K8 ECU with a JE50 VAF on my ZE for only a few days when we first did the swap, fuel milleage was horrible! Kp2t had a K8 ECU when he got his pre-swapped mx-3 and he wasn't getting that good in milleage either unti he went with my recommendation and got a KL36. I know on the Ottawa trip when we'd fill up were were pretty much on the ball with each other in terms of how much we put in.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have KL31 cams, ZE pistons, and chipped ECU. Otherwise, it's a DE with a 2002 straight neck intake. I have my tires inflated to over 40 PSI. I used Acetone, but am taking a break, and am down to about 30mpg, again from about 33. My engine was built for torque, so I shift at about 3k rpm.
Have you checked your compression lately? My #6 is lower than the rest. What oil do you use? Have you checked your E-brake? Do you have alot of weight in the car?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”