What do you all think about this

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
xAllan-Jamesx

What do you all think about this

Post by xAllan-Jamesx »

a 1996 percidia with a Targa Top? do you think it would look good?
1996 MAZDA MX-3 1.6 dohc
1988 JEEP grand Cherokee
2001 FORD Focus SE engine rebuild in process
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: What do you all think about this

Post by fowljesse »

It's been discussed...
Since our cars are unibody, it would lose structural integrity. I know that wasn't your question :|
I don't like targa tops, but I think the MX-3 would make an awesome convertible. It would need ALOT of work to keep integrity, and would weigh alot more.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

that to me if it wer possible i would find it very ugly
xAllan-Jamesx

Post by xAllan-Jamesx »

i was going to put a roll change so then it would have more strenght in the frame than before, and it would weight alot less, and also it would most likely look good as a convertible but it would be to much work to pull that off.
1996 MAZDA MX-3 1.6 dohc
1988 JEEP grand Cherokee
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Keep in mind that cars with a targa top (supra) do not have door frame above the windows. It would look f'n facktarded having no roof, a roll cage and door frame showing when your windows are down.

Bad idea.
xAllan-Jamesx

Post by xAllan-Jamesx »

ahha that would be true, but i will be cutting the window frame so then i would work like the supra where it would not have the frame and you would just close the door and then rull the window up into the ceil
1996 MAZDA MX-3 1.6 dohc
1988 JEEP grand Cherokee
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I say, find one with irepairable roof damage, and go for it! Otherwise, if you start tearing apart a good one, and find that it's not possible, you've taken another rare MX-3 out.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

xAllan-Jamesx wrote:ahha that would be true, but i will be cutting the window frame so then i would work like the supra where it would not have the frame and you would just close the door and then rull the window up into the ceil
You will either need to raise your windows higher... then lower them every time you open the door. Or extend the whole roof down and have the windows seal as they close. The A pillar will probably also need to be modded. Either way expect massive failure.
POST PICS so no one else will try it.
xAllan-Jamesx

Post by xAllan-Jamesx »

thats harsh but i will take a pratice swing with an old mx-3 that i use for a parts car if it turns out good i will be doing it, i will post pics of the trial run first and then go from there, and also i was going to make it so you will shut the door when it is down and then roll the window up into the seal.
1996 MAZDA MX-3 1.6 dohc
1988 JEEP grand Cherokee
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

how would you roll the window up from outside the car when ur done drivin for the day? if of course i read that right by you saying you want the door to close while the window is down and u must roll it up after in order to make the seal...
ImageImageImageImage
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

I'm telling you to not attempt this. You have not put enough thought into it and you will end up trashing anything you work on. Are you even a bodyman? Maybe you should talk to Colin or someone who knows about body work. Please please take pics so we and say "I told ya so" later.
xAllan-Jamesx

Post by xAllan-Jamesx »

i work at a autobody shop as an apprentise right now, thats why i am thinking that i would be able to make it work, and also i have been thinking about this for a while, i am sure that i will be able to mold the window frame to the frame of the car, cut it right above the side mirror and on the other side cut it at the door/ window frame (where they meet) i will weld what i can from the window frame with some sheet metal to make the whole edge look clean on the window frame when it is welded to the roof frame, and try and cut the lip on the out side of the seal of the window frame and if that does not work then i will be getting seals from a supra out of a junk yard, the easy part will be cutting the roof, after that i will be also getting the hold down clips from a supra out of a junk yark, so then it will stay down, i will reinforce the roof by weld ing some support struts going accross the roof, all in all i have thought alot about how to make this work, the only thing that is stopping me right now and finding a junk yard that has a good enough supra with a targa top than i can use the seals from.
1996 MAZDA MX-3 1.6 dohc
1988 JEEP grand Cherokee
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

you need to sell your mx3 to someone whos not gona butcher it to the point of no recognition...stick to rebuilding ur ford :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

tmac4t4 wrote:you need to sell your mx3 to someone whos not gona butcher it to the point of no recognition...stick to rebuilding ur ford :roll:

I seem to recall a young tmac4t4 that wanted to turn his mx-3 into a del slow. Oh how the tables have turned...... :lol:
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

i was interested in removing/swapping the hatch,...and is "del slow" the only thing you can come up with..like really...im with RS_OBD when he sais post pics, this i gotta see
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”