Working on fixing A/c: Evaporator Temperature Sensor replace

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
69shelby

Working on fixing A/c: Evaporator Temperature Sensor replace

Post by 69shelby »

My '93 4cyl had a/c but didnt work, I filled the system, found a leak in the hose to the pump, replaced the o-ring. Found the fuse kept blowing in the eng compartment, traced it back to the 6 pin relay on the pass side, it had a bad diode. Remove the diode and it workes with no blown fuses, but now the a/c goes on and off, traced it to the Evaporator Temperature Sensor, I dont have a good picture of it, I unscrewed it from the case and tried to pull the sensor probe thru the case where it enters with-out removing the whole assembly, does anyone know how to remove it, or is the probe attached to something inside the case? Can I cut the probe and just stick a new one in? I would like to remove it to test it so I can tell if it is bad or my sytem is getting to cold. I dont think its freezing up as it runs for a few minutes, sensore turns it off for a minute and it kicks back on. Thanks.
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: Working on fixing A/c: Evaporator Temperature Sensor replace

Post by shameem »

This is the structural diagram for the AC system-
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9739/tg049vw7.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont see an Evaporator Temperature Sensor - the one "sensor" i see is a refrigerant pressure switch -
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8260/tg065sy8.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
69shelby

Post by 69shelby »

the evap temp sensor is behind the glove box and there is a probe into the heater box.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Is it the thermoswitch -
http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/7 ... 028f56.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

you're right shameem, he is definitely talking about the thermoswitch. there's nothing else in there. and the short answer is no, you're pretty much out of luck. you're going to have to remove the whole thing to get at that sensor. i don't believe there's anything holding the copper probe part in place, it's just sort of wedged in there. question is, even if you cut it, how are you going to get the new one in? probably best to jsut do it as intended.

luckily, there is a way to test it while it's on the car, which should be in the section shameem linked to. basically, you run your AC and check for continuity at the sensor plug. when its cold it should be open, when its hot it shouldnt be

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”