Help, My 96 Disty won't work on my KLZE, why?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Re: Help, My 96 Disty won't work on my KLZE, why?

Post by JoshVK »

Man, If id been online sooner i could have answerd this way sooner... i have a KLZE in my 96... let me know if you have any other Q's...
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Hey im in the same boat here, I got some probs. I have the KL62 ECU and KLZE straight neck engine. My MX-3 is a OBDII. So if I used the distributor from the MX-3 on my KLZE, it'd work fine. I think need the KL02 VAF/MAF (daninski pointed this out before) and I'd need to use MSD switches or something on my VRIS to make it work.

Or I could get a KL31/36 ECU, get OBDI wiring (all done easily) and use my JE50 VAF but then the MX-3 distributor wouldn't work would it, because it's a OBDII distributor right???

I honestly cbf with the MSD thingy, seems like hard work, I could be wrong. But then if I had to change the distributor if I went down the other option I'd be pissed off. What to do eh?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks for the offer JoshVK. We 96ers have to stick together. Don't do the wiring change, that's just nasty but hey if you decide you want to I'm pulling an entire OBD1 harness out of my 92. My ZE is running very good now I'm just not sure what the best plug and gap is. Corksport says .035 but other say .042-.043. My engine pulls more torque with the KL02 VAF. After I installed it my clutch would slip if I shifted under load, cheap MX-6 clutches.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

zzzoomx3 wrote:well - there you go - but i wouldnt agree with the numbering statement - my K8 disti was labeled differently than the ZE disti - thats how i knew the order was different
Just to be clear, the firing order is not different. All K's have the same firing order. If you look inside the two caps you'll see that although cyl 4 and 5 are backwards on the outside, the leads cross on the inside to preserve the firing order.

The top cap is the ZE. Notice also that the points are about 20º advanced in the ZE cap. This threw me off until I realized that the rotor on the disty body is also advanced from the K8 disty.

K8 Rotor...Image

ZE Rotor...Image

Because you're using a K8 wire harness and the engine was running on a K8 Disty when you got it, you'll basically be doing exactly the same thing I did to run the ZE disty on my 93 SE with the exception of the different location of the wires in the 3 pin plug. One is the tach signal, one is coil +ve and one is coil -ve. I don't know what order yours are in, but they are probably the same colors as other years.

If you want to do the HEI mod and use the ZE disty, which by the way is awesome because the disty has virtually nothing to wear out and will likely last forever unless you physically break it, this is the link to the write up I did when I converted mine.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Daninski wrote:Thanks for the offer JoshVK. We 96ers have to stick together. Don't do the wiring change, that's just nasty but hey if you decide you want to I'm pulling an entire OBD1 harness out of my 92. My ZE is running very good now I'm just not sure what the best plug and gap is. Corksport says .035 but other say .042-.043. My engine pulls more torque with the KL02 VAF. After I installed it my clutch would slip if I shifted under load, cheap MX-6 clutches.
Would I have to do that MSD window thing, for the VRIS, or is it ok to leave it without the MSD thing for a while? I ask because I wonder how much difference there will be. If I leave my wiring and get the KL02 VAF with the KL62 ECU, will the engine run alright?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

wytbishop wrote:
zzzoomx3 wrote:well - there you go - but i wouldnt agree with the numbering statement - my K8 disti was labeled differently than the ZE disti - thats how i knew the order was different
Just to be clear, the firing order is not different. All K's have the same firing order. If you look inside the two caps you'll see that although cyl 4 and 5 are backwards on the outside, the leads cross on the inside to preserve the firing order.
thats just weird- i wonder why would they do that?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Great info thanks. The three wire plug is in a different order and I forget at this monment which ones are changed but that's no biggy. To use a ZE disty for an HEI mod would be far easier than modifying a stock disty.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”