Another lapping day. This time with ZE.

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Whisper

Another lapping day. This time with ZE.

Post by Whisper »

Went to Pacific Raceways today again and tried the new motor. WHOAH!

Got a good full 2 hours on the track. The car ran really strong, though I still have the grindy transmission. I was still one of the slowest cars there. Everyone else had Porsches, Corvettes, and BMWs. They mostly got me in the turns though, with their wide racing compound tires and better suspension. I simply didn't have enough grip. I kept up alright with some of them in the straights, however, and I feel that if I had wider, sticker tires, I'd be fairly competitive.

Anyway, it was awesome. Sadly it's the last lapping day of the season. At least I don't think I'll be going to any more until spring. Gives me time to tweak the handling and get better footprint.

So exhausted, though. Gonna go sleep.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Sounds fun as hell. I've always wanted to go on a road course but we dont have any that I'm aware of anywhere remotely near me. I cant think of any within a days drive.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I hear they are building a private track somewhere near or in NY state. Supposed to be sick when it is done. However, you are in such a well to do part of the country and it being private I bet it costs and arm and a leg to get on track.
Any pics Whisper?
I can keep up with a Z-06 on street tires (both of us)- unless he is a good driver then I get spanked. Never driven with BMWs, but since they are RWD if they are decent they will woop you too. However, get on track with some FWDs and see the power of the MX-3. We shine against most FWDs with the exception of some like the new/er Mini-S.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, there was one Mini at the track. The thing was damn fast, good driver too, pretty much stomped me. And in fact there was a Z-06(?), with a somewhat rubbish driver I take it, because even though it'd pull away on the main straight, I'd catch up in corners and I eventually passed it.

BMWs and Porsches were rough, though. The fact that most drivers were fairly good didn't help either, heh.

I definitely feel that there needed to be another car class - a slower one, with FWD cars. Going with Civics, Integras and such would've been ace.

Sadly no pics. I forgot my camera, and the friend from work that usually comes to take pics didn't go this time. Oh well... Next time.
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Re: Another lapping day. This time with ZE.

Post by JoshVK »

do you have up graded brakes? or at least higher end pads? Hawks? Or DOT 4 fluid?

There is a few tracks (all 4-5.5 hours away)
Im Doing a KLZE swap and new suspension over next bit..
i have all stock GS brakes..

My fear is ill see alot of brake fade.... but ive never gone so i dont know...
input would be awesome..
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Stock brakes with performance pads and stainless steel brake lines. IIRC the fluid is DOT 4.
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Whisper wrote:Stock brakes with performance pads and stainless steel brake lines. IIRC the fluid is DOT 4.
no major issues, eg Noticeable brake fade?
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Not really. First few laps the brakes are kind of weak, actually, but once they warm up, they grab all day. There may be some minor fading by the end of the day, because driving home I have to step on it harder than usual. Although that might just be a result of pads cooling down, which creates an illusion of brakes gripping less than they did on the track. Hard to tell. My perception of braking goes back to normal after a few hours of city driving.

The only "problem", which isn't really a problem, is massive amounts of brake dust. After a few sessions the wheels are pretty much coated.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”