50 dollar paint job, any one interested?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
94drumx3

Re: 50 dollar paint job, any one interested?

Post by 94drumx3 »

what i'm going to do with mine is sand it all down myself and all the other prep work and take it to maaco for $300. If you do nice prep work yourself you can get a NICE lookin paint job. thats what a friend of mine did here in wichita and it looks great.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Maaco, and Earl Sheib are franchises. You could go to 1 and get a great job, and go to the next closest and get ripped off. Personally, everyone who I know that has gone to either said it wasn't worth even $200. Most of their paint jobs are Single stage Enamel, just like... Rustoleum. Often, they do a worse shooting job on cars that are prepped, because the prepping is where they make their money. Guess which auto manufacturer did roll on paint jobs.

Rolls-Royce.
:shrug:

I know it's natural for people to say it's a bad idea until they see results. I was very happy with my van done this way.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wytbishop wrote: Hey Mooneggs, have you ever posted a write up on the process you use to paint your cars? I'd be interested in the details of how you do that thing you do....with the primer I mean.
I'm sure I have somewhere in these forums archives lol :D It's very very simple though. I never used any machines to sand I did all mine by hand.

Take off all the headlights, markers, taillights, etc. I also took off my rear spoiler and mudguards. It's up to you how much detail you want to give it.

400 grit by hand wetsand paper. It's important to make sure you keep the area you are sanding constantly wet (helps if you have a friend to help you). make sure you sand everything that you want to prime. Make sure you give attention to trouble areas (small rust spots, paint chips).

Next I went over everything again with 1000 grit wetsand (same process) to get it really smooth...

After that I give the car a good rinsing/wash to make sure I've gotten all of the excess dust... sometimes I will dry it with an 'absorber' chamois to get all the water/dirt off...

Next let it dry before trying to tape it off or your tape will not stick! Once it is dry, tape it off (windows and anything you don't want primered :D)

I recommend getting a trigger attachment for your spray cans... it will save your fingers! Spray the first coat on and let it dry. Once it is dry, I lightly sanded with 2000 grit wiping it with a moist cloth for the wetsand affect. once again I used the absorber to get all the dust off...

spray a second coat - let the car air dry :D if you have taken your time and evenly applied the primer you should have a very very smooth (literally) primer job 8)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

see now I have a huge problem. I have the black 94 GS in storage and the new 93. there's no way I can talk the wife into letting me keep both...and I don't want to screw with the SE cuz it's so nice...but I really want a car to play around with. The 94GS is the perfect project car but I have to get rid of it.

DAMN!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Mooneggs wrote:lol I guess it's my turn to post here :D

my primer jobs are usually around $50 including all supplies. I am thinking this time around I am going to use flat black instead of primer. It looks like it will not fade as quickly and repel moisture better... I'm just wondering if I should through one coat of clear on it or if that will make it look too shiny?

my roommate thinks I am an idiot for having my cars primered but I don't really care what anyone thinks lol - it's cheap for me right now and I don't have to worry about maintenance and they look the same all the time lol

Bro, honestly... A friend of mine painted his car flat black. He then spray'd the car with an automotive clear coat. If you use rattle can clear, it will look like s---. I think the flat black and a clear looks good. and no it wont look real glossy like a regular black paint job.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Stablo87

Re: 50 dollar paint job, any one interested? (phase 1)

Post by Stablo87 »

Okay so i started my transformation. Phase 1 black primer!!!! (still in phase 1)
Progress so far:

I still need to wet sand it and probably another coat of primer( I asked my friend to get sandpaper and he got 80 grit so i got some deep scratches). If you dry sand it you should really use 180.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Don't forget to fix that Bondo'd dent in the right rear, and any other issues. If you can see it in primer, it will look like $#!T in gloss! Keep the progress posted!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

from those pics you are definately not sanding it with a fine enough grit and maybe you aren't spraying evenly... do you have the trigger top thing to help turn the spray can into an even sprayer??
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

Mooneggs wrote:from those pics you are definately not sanding it with a fine enough grit and maybe you aren't spraying evenly... do you have the trigger top thing to help turn the spray can into an even sprayer??

Yeah u bought one of the cheap ones and it broke right away. I already started sanding with 180 grit, works so much better. Ill post pics later!!!!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

For best results, wet sand with 220 for final sanding before primer. Read up, and do a careful job, so people can't say the paint is bad. PM me if you have any questions.
bfamiluyi

Post by bfamiluyi »

what a f---, my car right now is just prime. i'm thinking about used that method on my car.
FASTLANE ONLY
1993 mazda mx3 1.6 sohc K&N INTAKE R1 MUFFLER SOON TO BOOST (SOHC TURBO)
1989 nissan 240sx sr20 wreck RIP
2002 saturn Ls2 RIP
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

my car is painted with rustolium pro gloss white. And i used rollers and spray cans in some areas. It holds up really nice and does have a shine to it when its clean.... the key to it just like and other paint is wet sanding. i used 500, 1000, 2000 grit on everything and man is it smooth!!! but not bad compaired to what it used to look like, it looks like i brought it back from the dead!

BEFORE------

AFTER------

PLZ SOMEONE LOWER MY CAR!

JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Mazdamx3freak,
are those 14s or 15s?
and thats almost same as how i want to go, but im going to paint mirrors and spoiler, and i have black rims...
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

JoshVK wrote:Mazdamx3freak,
are those 14s or 15s?
and thats almost same as how i want to go, but im going to paint mirrors and spoiler, and i have black rims...
they are 15" Maxiumm assults that weight 11lbs each /w 205/50/15 ziex 915's :love:

Also thats only with 3 coats im going to be adding a few more soon and it will start to look more and more glossy.
bfamiluyi

Post by bfamiluyi »

how long did it take to have it paint?
FASTLANE ONLY
1993 mazda mx3 1.6 sohc K&N INTAKE R1 MUFFLER SOON TO BOOST (SOHC TURBO)
1989 nissan 240sx sr20 wreck RIP
2002 saturn Ls2 RIP

Return to “Appearance”