How to empty the AC

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ElectricEnergy

How to empty the AC

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Hey guys,

I'm just working on getting that K8 out of my car right now. And its not driveable because of the halfshaft that I'm waiting on and I really dont want to get it towed to a shop. Is there a safe way to drain the refrigerant from the AC system? There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the shop manual.

Recharging the system seems pretty complicated and scary, I don't really want to deal with that. I'll take it to a shop to get done with the exhaust once I'm finished the swap.

Its a 93, so that would mean its R-12 right?

Thanks in advance,
David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: How to empty the AC

Post by mitmaks »

you need a mechanic to evacuate the refrigerant out of system. You can't do it yourself and that's illegal also.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Thats what I figured.

Luckily its been brought to my attention that I don't even have to empty the AC to take the engine out of the car. w00t.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

ElectricEnergy wrote:Thats what I figured.

Luckily its been brought to my attention that I don't even have to empty the AC to take the engine out of the car. w00t.

David
lol really? just unbolt compressor?

if this works ill keep my AC
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Apparently, And if I remember correctly the lines for the AC all run under the engine, so it makes sense.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

JoshVK wrote:
ElectricEnergy wrote:Thats what I figured.

David
lol really? just unbolt compressor?

if this works ill keep my AC
yea thats definitely true, but careful when it's unbolted. when my swap was done, it was just hanging by the hoses, and i found out after months of troubleshooting that one of the lines had gotten stressed and was leaking at the part that bolts onto the compressor. we dye injected the system and went over it with a black light and it didn't show up... i ended up changing out every single line to track it down. :evil:
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Thanks, I'll remember to string it up with some wire or something.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Get someone in the AC business to evacuate your system and keep the refridgerant. If you don't only R134 is available now and that means putting a $180.. dollar kit into your system for compatability. I don't think any garage would do this because if they put the R12 back into your car they can be charged under the enviro act. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Engine came out just fine without the entire AC system, so I guess thats one thing I won't have to worry about.

Thanks guys.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”