Silver spark plugs?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Silver spark plugs?

Post by fowljesse »

Does anyone know anything about them?
I'm going to get a set just because a certain Jedi Master of MX-3 technology says they make an obvious difference in power and gas mileage. At this point, paying 4x as much for them will probably save me $$ in the long run, since gas is going up.
I keep a close watch on my gas mileage, and will report my findings.
As of now, I'm averaging 29 mpg with my ZE/DE.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
stereoking15

Re: Silver spark plugs?

Post by stereoking15 »

if you are referring to the nology plugs they have ones called silverstones they aren't really better then anything currently being made. for the k8ze i preferred the ngk v power, in my ze i like the ngk iridium ix because they like the motor and take less voltage to fire which is easier on your ignition, which thats a weak point thanks to mitsubishi.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, there were 2 recommended by Yoda, who has been a consultant for R&D for aftermarket parts for Japanese cars, focusing on the family of cars that the MX-3 belongs to for about 15 years. 1 is Brisk, the other Beru, who is now making the Nology plugs.
Did you use the Nology plugs?
My research finds that Iridium takes for to fire because it is more dense, and less conductive.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

i have not personally used them but talking with a couple of the local tuner shops in portland that have dynos, paying near $20 didnt justify the minimal gain .1-.5 over anything currently being marketed. the shops were pre, pdx tuning, and ground zero. and those gains were over copper core plugs. but in personal experience my klze likes the iridium plugs. if you want i can order you up with either nology or ngk plugs i work at baxter auto parts off of barbur blvd in "tigard".
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, man.
Another PDXer! Are you coming to the meet on 4-20?
I'm interested also in saving gas, so if they save a few bucks over their lifetime, I could justify getting them. So, copper core are the next best?
Maybe I'll drop by Baxter one day just for fun.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

did a search at work today about the silverstones that nology sells by beru and not as bad as previously costed in past now around the $9 mark but none of the stores and the warehouses didn't stock so they must come straight from nology 5-7 working days with $5 shipping since not a normal stocking item, also as a note that all people in the pdx area that come and see me at the baxter location in tigard get about a %10 discount for being car club affliated
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sweeeet 8)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

29mpg with ze/de is NICE I dont get that much even on highway with my k8
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It has about 5,000 on a good rebuild, and I put 2 3/4 ounces of Acetone every fill up (10 G.), am ridiculous about maintenence, and use unorthodox driving techniques. I got 31 mpg on a road trip, steady 68 mph driving. Lowering the car gave it about .27 drag coefficient, which is less that a Porsche Boxster.
390ish

Post by 390ish »

I haver really liked the Denso Irridium plugs in my K8. I get about 27 mpg with mixed driving and can almost get 33 mpg on a tank with full highway use. I drive like grandpa on the highway, 65mph.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”