What is VRIS really?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxer666

What is VRIS really?

Post by mxer666 »

Hey, ive been a ghost on the site for quite some time now and i finally registered. My question is what is VRIS really? is it like v-tech? does it hold the intake vavle open for a longer period of time???

oh and by the way there are 444157 total posts on this site. i just registered and it said "view new posts 444157" Just something i thaught was cool.
Vanished

Re: What is VRIS really?

Post by Vanished »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_R ... ion_System" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Variable Resonance Induction System.

Not to be confuse is V-Tec (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)

VRIS is simply changing the path the air takes in the intake manifold by opening and closing butterfly valves (like the one in your throttle body) to create a higher velocity air flow, and more power at certain RPMs.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

As far as I know, its even a little more technical than that. Its pretty interesting actually.

As the intake valve closes, air piles up in the manifold and "bounces" back up the intake runner. At higher RPMs the speed of the bounce is higher. The VRIS system changes the length that this higher pressure wave has to move before bouncing back into the chamber. The VRIS system changes the tuning of the intake manifold over a broad range of RPMs so that the intake valve opens just in time for the high pressure wave to get forced into the chamber with the momentum it has on its way back to the chamber. Almost like a turbocharger effect.... but much less significant.

V-TEC is way different. Most people think that V-TEC gives the engine more power, but its actually the opposite. It doesn't let as much air in at lower RPMs, reducing power but increasing fuel economy. After around 4000rpm, it starts letting more in and giving you more power. It feels like a huge power boost, but its actually just changing from economy mode to normal mode.

I think its really cool that the engineers for these motors take even the smallest things like that into account to squeeze more power out of the engine.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

think of it as varying the lengths of the intake runners based on your RPM to "tune it for that range"
mxer666

Post by mxer666 »

ohhh ok it all makes sense now.

i just find it funny how the honda guys think they have a kickass v-tech engine but its really not that good.

thanks.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

mxer666 wrote:ohhh ok it all makes sense now.

i just find it funny how the honda guys think they have a kickass v-tech engine but its really not that good.

thanks.

lol...that makes me laugh, you just said that vtec aint really that good. I am a Mazda fan and love my klze mx3 but some of those honda's with b18c's and k20's actually are pretty damn good. What i just read in this thread is not even close to how vtec works at all.

Look at a damn EG hatch with a b18c with bolt ons they run mid 13's with a good driver. i've even seen some in the 12's. and those honda motors just don't blow up. my buddy and his brother fed screws and milk and cookies down the throttle body and drove around on rev limiter for 10 minutes and it wouldnt blow up
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Honda motor's are pretty tough. Yet, dont talk too bad about vtec just because you dont have it and they do. That vtec can give you an extra 5 horses but them extra 5 horses is better then nothing. besides any of that, swaps are the s---. thats why honda is so damn popular. I mean look at us, klze swap and de swap.. thats some pimp s---.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I feel like my post was misinterpreted. That is exactly how a V-TEC system works. When you simplify it, the initial low cam profile lets in less air than the high cam profile after 4000-5000rpm. I wasn't trying to knock V-TEC engines. Some of them are VERY good. I was just trying to point out that the V-TEC system doesn't give you more power. Its a very good system in that it allows you to enjoy high profile cams while saving money on gas driving around town. In a racing situation your not going to be under the V-TEC threshold very often anyway.

I should also point out that I don't believe Hondas are popular because of the engine swaps. Its because they are cheap and reliable, end of story. And I'm no way saying that you cant make a Honda civic fast, You definitely can.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

ElectricEnergy wrote: And I'm no way saying that you cant make a Honda civic fast, You definitely can.
So can the other 18 million Civic owners of the world. That's why I love my MX3 so much.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

wytbishop wrote:
ElectricEnergy wrote: And I'm no way saying that you cant make a Honda civic fast, You definitely can.
So can the other 18 million Civic owners of the world. That's why I love my MX3 so much.
I agree with you on that..thats a reason why i like the mx3 so much too!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”