Speed sensor or what??

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MazdaMan85

Speed sensor or what??

Post by MazdaMan85 »

Well I am gonna sell the gs for 500.00 dollars. It is still to cold for me to do the swap and no garage. But the guy that is interested in it isn't sure if he should buy. Heres the thing, when I start the car it idles fine. Then if I rev it a little I can hear the tranny whinning or whistling. Thats not the big deal. I can drove the car until it warms up a little. Then it stops moving. I have no gears at the point. It goes in gear but it doesn't move. I pulled a code for the vehicle speed sensor. When it stops moving is when that code pops up. So I pulled the sensor. Where the hech do I get one of these?? Only from the dealer?? That would suck... Hey any help from the mx team would be great!!
mx3autozam

Re: Speed sensor or what??

Post by mx3autozam »

ya the speed sensor will be dealership only.

So you have no gears once it warms up?? doesn't make sense..is this an automatic????
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i doubt thats its dealer, what year is the car? i could have a look at work sometime and ill post who makes it and what the part number is.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

Yeah its automatic and its a 1992 v6. once it gets warm the hold light flashes for the speed sensor and then it stops moving. When cold it drives fine. As it warms up it slips more and more until the hold light flashes then stops moving. I don't want to sell it because its almost spring you know. Would this sensor make it just stop moving?? Or is something else wrong with it??
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Do you have a pic of the sensor, cause i believe the ATX and MTX sensors are the same. I have a good working one for sale.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

no picture but they must be different because I found them online and the one I need is like 100 dollars more. Now why would my tranny sqweel in park when first started? And would this sensor make it not move when warm? I believe the speedometer works fine and the odometer. I tried to test the sensor I have but when I read the instuctions in the manual I don't understand. Do I take the sensor out and test it or what? I have a digital multimeter so how would I do that? I just don't want to buy a sensor for 130.00 if I dont have to. Please help.. It's starting to make me hate my car. I want to drive the beast.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Check fluid level and color first - i had the same problem when my transmission leaked a lot of fluid one night....

To check fluid level you have to park on level ground and start the car and let it warm up - its better if you drive the car until it doesnt move and check the fluid level (without turning off the car) - if you see the level is low start adding fluid and the car will start moving again.......
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

The speed sensor will not make it so the car won't move. It may cause the tranny to not shift right but the car would still drive.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

thanks for the great info. You know I just went out and started the car and the tranny is sqweeling when in park when I rev it a little. And I talked to someone and he said prolly the pump. So maybe by some chance something is blocking the flow or the pump is bad?? I just changed the filter about 2 months ago. So maybe drain it again and take a look at the filter and blow my lines out. And get this when it started to mess up I bought some lucus to put in it. Drained enough to add the bottle. When I added the bottle I don't think it circulated because when I pull the dipstick out it feels like it is still in the fill tube. you know thick fluid feeling. anymore ideas guys???
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

You said the hold light is flashing....get the codes checked. That will maybe start to lead you in the right direction. The hold light is flashing because the computer senses something is wrong with the tranny.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

I have checked the codes. There is a code 6 for speed sensor. I was told that won't make it so it doesn't drive. But is there something in the transmission that turns the sensor that is maybe broke?? I need to find this problem out. I can't find a 5 spd and all the parts for a swap around here so if someone has these parts let me know.
don93pgt

Post by don93pgt »

any update ? i have the same situation on a 93 1.6 auto , and its doing the same thing let me know what you find out thanks

Return to “Transmissions”