Another overheating problem!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
shoeunique

Another overheating problem!

Post by shoeunique »

Hi, new to this site, didn't know it exsisted!

I have a '92 Auto 1.6i. Last year the sensor for the thermo had to be replaced due to overheating issues and the fan not cutting in.

For the past week or so, when I have had the blower on inside the car, the temp is going hot and cold, it can't make up it's mind!
On my way home from work the temp is normally just above half, well it was creeping up and up til it reached the red. I pulled over and let it cool down started up and it did the same.
I've checked levels - all ok, no hoses split etc etc.
I have had a squeling fan belt (not too bad) only when engine starts first off.

Any idea's, i've read a few threads and see that changing water pump is a big job!

HELP?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Another overheating problem!

Post by umcamara »

I would have to say your water pump bearings are seizing up. It may take some work to change the pump, but all the information is on here. If you are mechanically inclined whatsoever, I'd say you're capable of doing it.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
theaerokid

Post by theaerokid »

Ive been having a simular problem with me 93...but its only when im at cruise speed ... like 65 70 mph...when the car downshifts the temp will slowly raise, only to drop back down as soon an the idle is back at a crusing level...It only does it on open highways...not in everyday stop and go traffic...
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

If the temp gauge is acting erratic, most likely a simple thermostat change that is needed. That up and down gauge reading usually indicates the thermostat is wearing out. $10 part, no more than a 30 minute job.

If it's not a gauge-reading-issue but the Q. is about the air coming from the cabin heating system that is alternately blowing cold/hot, might just be a borderline low enough coolant level that needs topping up. If it needs topping up frequently, then a leak is somewhere in the cooling sys, which could be a radiator hose, hoseclamp, the radiator itself, or H2O pump. Look at everything else to rule out before zeroing in on the water pump as that is the more complex and expensive fix of the possible causes.
Last edited by neutral on January 18th, 2008, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image -Jim
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

If its just a thermostat, after the engine is warmed up some check
both hoses coming off the radiator. If one is hot and the other is cold
then the coolant is not circulating and is the thermostat. I had
the same problem this week & apparently they can just go. After
reading about how they work im amazed (not in the good way)
at my fellow engineer for making a valve with wax.
shoeunique

Post by shoeunique »

Well, thought we'd overcome the problem removed thermostat, not bothered replacing for the time. But now losing water, but can't see where is is going, just keeping an eye on it, but someone said could be a leak in head gasket? A big job isn't it?
npspears

Post by npspears »

Honestly, the head gasket is not that big of a job. If you are a little familiar with working on a car and a little familiar with how the car works you could do it. If you are leaking water in the headgasket you should have oil in the coolant. So check that. And definitely don't let the car overheat.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”