Axle Shaft Removal

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Brad

Axle Shaft Removal

Post by Brad »

I'm unable to break loose the axle shaft nut on the driver's side. It occurred to me this may have counter-clockwise threads. Anybody know? Passenger side took an air impact wrench, but came off pretty easy.
lowflyinmx3

Re: Axle Shaft Removal

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Those things are major pains in the butt. I replaced 4 of them before and 2 I had to chisel off and the other ones I had to torch and use a cheater. try heating it. If I remember correctly they aren't reversed threaded.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

When those Hub bolts are put on, you hammer down part of it, so it won't unscrew off. Did you bend that part back? Sometimes, even using an air gun, won't take it off. What I use, and works great is a 3/4 socket wrench. It's huge, and won't brake when you jump on it, using your own weight to get it turned.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Pretty sure there aren't reversed threaded. I replaced passenger side one two days ago. Air gun FTW.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Brad

Post by Brad »

lowflyinmx3 wrote:Those things are major pains in the butt. I replaced 4 of them before and 2 I had to chisel off and the other ones I had to torch and use a cheater. try heating it. If I remember correctly they aren't reversed threaded.
You guys have helped! I already tried heat and a cheater bar, so that leaves the chisel, which I hadn't thought of. Thanks.
Brad

Post by Brad »

2fazed wrote:When those Hub bolts are put on, you hammer down part of it, so it won't unscrew off. Did you bend that part back? Sometimes, even using an air gun, won't take it off. What I use, and works great is a 3/4 socket wrench. It's huge, and won't brake when you jump on it, using your own weight to get it turned.
Yes, I straightened out the bent-over place. Tried the breaker bar with a cheater bar and jumped on it. No luck. Guess I'll destoy the nut without damaging the threads on the shaft, somehow.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You can also use a dremmel tool and a cutoff disc. Even better control if you have the flex shaft attachment. Allows you to be precise with your cut. Glad I didnt have this problem :) Mine came right off with my impact gun. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Brad

Post by Brad »

Tunes67 wrote:You can also use a dremmel tool and a cutoff disc. Even better control if you have the flex shaft attachment. Allows you to be precise with your cut. Glad I didnt have this problem :) Mine came right off with my impact gun. Best of luck.

Tunes67
Great Idea! I was going the brute strength route, but now I'll try a little finesse.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I've had a heck of a time getting them off. Neither side is reverse-threaded, so you're not doing it wrong.

I got a 3/4 breaker bar and then got a 6ft long pipe, that I slid over the breaker bar, and I basically just hung off the end of the pipe and it finally cracked loose. That was rough. Those things are torqued like mental, plus with age they probably semi-fuse with the axle.
Brad

Post by Brad »

The dremel is a great idea! Wish I had thought of it. I love this forum![quote][/quote]
Brad

Post by Brad »

Glad to hear I'm not alone with this problem. Before I cut the nut off, I think I'll try a longer cheater bar. If that doesn't do it, the Dremel come out!
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

i wedge a large flat blade screw driver between the rotors cooling chanells and the brake caliper

Big 3/4 braker and 4foot bar with a extra 100kg Buddy of mine (my 80kgs isnt enough)
Jump around..grunt..swear..then BANG it comes loose

same applys when you put the new nut back on....
SOLD 1991 Mazda Astina GT, BPT,161 WkW @ 9psi, & 102wkw N/A built motor with LSD
1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4, big brakes, massive power
worked KL-ZE 220whp in the build, possibly for a 323 or MX3/Eunos
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

if your replacing the CV joint its not so important if you bung up the threads cause youll get a whole new axle with new threads and that hub nut as well.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Usually it's better if you don't destroy the axle thread and nut. You might need to install it back on if the replacement axle is the wrong one.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

WOW no, no no, you guys haha,

Do not torch it unless you are redoing the bearing to.

Simply take a 3/4 socket set (usually most people don't have them laying around unless you live out on a farm, so take and rent a set from your local auto parts store.) and its as easy as that, they come loose pretty easy with a 3/4, trust me!
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”