Charge Light

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jimbo1177

Charge Light

Post by Jimbo1177 »

My charge light on my instrument cluster has started to flicker on and off while driving. I replaced the battery as I had had it for several years but that didnt help. I had the alternator replaced with a rebuilt one two years ago. Any ideas what it might be? Hoping to get it into a shop soon, just wanted to see what if anyone had an idea what I might be in for before hand. Thanks.
94mx3precidia

Re: Charge Light

Post by 94mx3precidia »

check the grounds to your battery, starter, alternator, and the engine ground. It could be that your grounds are too carroded.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
se7en

Post by se7en »

also, it could be a crappy alternator. I have run into that before with cheaper rebuilt ones.

They usually only last like 2 years. check your warranty, and maybe get it tested at a parts store.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Jimbo1177

Post by Jimbo1177 »

Thanks for the input. Kind of what I figured but I just wanted to make sure there werent any MX-3 specific culprits.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The charge light is almost always, in my experience, due to the rectifier...which is in the alternator. This is where old cars are nice because the regulator and recitifier are separate from the alternator and really easy to test.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

This is where old cars are nice because the regulator and recitifier are separate from the alternator and really easy to test.
Still pretty easy to test on our cars too.. Just get out your handy dandy volt meter.. check battery voltage.. record the reading.. start the car.. and check battery voltage again. If the regulator is bad.. you will see the voltage at the battery jumping around erratically even at normal curb idle speed. Just saw this exact symptom 2 days ago on Supermans DE swapped MX-3. Charge light is on solid and voltage at the battery with the engine idle was bouncing between 13.4 on upto 16.1, Pretty sure thats the regulator gone bad. Pretty easy fix though on the V6 cars :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Point taken and of course you're correct. I guess what I meant to say, and was really thinking, is that to repair a regulator or recitfier nowadays you have to repair the alternator as they are internal.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”