belts are squealing like a pig!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
import_fan7
Supporting Member

belts are squealing like a pig!!

Post by import_fan7 »

ive had 2 sets of brand new belts put on my car and the same thing keeps happening ,there fine for a month and then they start to squeal! and ive had them tightend many times and there fine again for a week and start again,belt dressing does not work,nothing does. So is it possible that i need new pulley's,the place i take my car says they look like there fine,is there anything else that would make this happen...please help this is annoying the crap out of me!
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
69shelby

Post by 69shelby »

alternator bearing is probably going bad.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

them retightin then up its not that hard to do..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Re: belts are squealing like a pig!!

Post by import_fan7 »

i have tightened them up a few times ..but it still does it even with new belts..im not gonna keep tightening them,shouldnt have to! if i keep tightening them there gonna snap
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

mine squealed when they were too tight. Squealed when they were too loose. Had to find a sweet spot. but I just got a premium belt from canadian tire. Worked great. Had to adjust it about 10 times till it stopped.
Took about three months to work it in. Just make sure you can't push the belt down more than 10mm (I think, someone check the manual on this one)
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

man that sux but ill give it a shot and see what happens..it's just embarassing when you start it up and people are looking out there windows to see what the hell the noise is lol
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i dont know how the 4 bangers are set up but is your top rad hose leaking onto your belts?
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

no i checked out everyhting thats around them for any leaks or anyhting else that would make them do it...ill figure it out sooner or later
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I'd have to say the bearings are worn in one of your pullies, or one of the pullies is wonky. Belts shouldn't squeal if everything is in proper condition.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

that's what im thinking,thanks all for your input
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Here's my story: I had mine replaced and they started squeeling after a month. I took the cage in for my mechanic to tighten it and this time around, paid attention to what he was doing. It started squeeling again a couple of months after that, so I tightened the belt again. It's been 2 years and haven't had that problem ever since.
Carthago Delenda Est

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”