Key broke in ignition today :(

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
onlytrueromeo

Key broke in ignition today :(

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Went to visit some friends in Pennsylvania this weekend, and when I went to start the car up Sunday morning the key just broke in the ignition...few hours and $85 later a locksmith was able to remove the broken key and make a new one. It broke halfway along the key, and apparently its "not uncommon" for these types of locks. I notice now that the key is a bit "stiff" to turn, so I make sure to be gentle and will be checkin the key regularly for stresses. Anyone know of something I can do to fix this so it doesnt happen again in the future?

Romeo
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Key broke in ignition today :(

Post by Mnemonic »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Went to visit some friends in Pennsylvania this weekend, and when I went to start the car up Sunday morning the key just broke in the ignition...few hours and $85 later a locksmith was able to remove the broken key and make a new one. It broke halfway along the key, and apparently its "not uncommon" for these types of locks. I notice now that the key is a bit "stiff" to turn, so I make sure to be gentle and will be checkin the key regularly for stresses. Anyone know of something I can do to fix this so it doesnt happen again in the future?

Romeo
the locksmith should of just picked a stiffer key
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-MA ... enameZWDVW

i like that one, plus metal over time it takes a beating, even if its only turning a key
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

I've ehard of using powdered graphite to lube the lockset making it easier to turn...

Also - a newly cut key will be "stiff" for a while until the sharp corners from the cuts get worn in...
93 GS SE
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I will have to try the graphite, as that sounds like a good idea. I have thought about possibly trying to "round" the corners on one of my keys a bit using some sandpaper/hobby metal file to get it to turn a bit easier. I just bought the key that Mnemonic suggested so hopefully when it gets here I can get it cut and I will have better luck! :)

~Romeo
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

i spray wd40 into the door locks every now and than and it works like butter.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

keep an extra copy sitting around and use a coping saw blade to get the broken bit out!! always works for me
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

I had a problem with door locks. It turned out to be a issue with the steering lock, if the wheels were turned out to far from center the door locks were making it hard to turn the key. I tore the ignition apart and took it to a lock smith. There was nothing wrong with the mechanism but I have to pay attention to how I leave the wheels. Straight is the best. This is just my experience, limited as it is. I still know more about jeeps but I'm learning.
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

sorry I meant ignition, not door locks.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”