V6 shocks/struts on 4cyl....

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
jamesmx3

V6 shocks/struts on 4cyl....

Post by jamesmx3 »

tried searching but nothing answered...

can th eV6 shocks be used on the 4 cylinder?? I guess the rears will be ok its just the fronts, with the different engine weights would the V6 ones be any different or would it only be the spring rate that would change??

only reason i ask is that i found someone selling some bilstien shocks but they came from a V6 and i got the 4 banger.
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

when i had to do the safety i put the 4 banger struts on my car to pass. they fit fine the only thing is that the spring rates are different. Im sure it would be ok if u put the v6 struts on ur 4 banger just keep in mind that your car will be alot higher than it should be. Im not totally sure about the rear struts though. Ive never looked at the rear struts on a 4 banger. But what can really change between the same car but on being a 4 banger and on bing a v6? nothing can really change in the rear.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

to stop the front sitting high could i use lowering springs for the 4cyl with those shocks?
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I believe the shocks themselfs are the same between the RS and GS. the springs will have a different spring rate. But ya either way you can use the RS springs no problem on the GS, it won't make much of a difference, mazda put higher spring rate because the GS was designed to handle a bit better and also take a bit more weight from the v6 engine.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

thanks guys the helps really appricated. :D

kenken

Post by kenken »

i myself have personally tried to use RS lowered springs on the GS..its sucks. the front is so freaking low..im using 205/40/17 and there arent any space between the tires and the fender. while the rear is higher than usual.
the spring i was using is HOTBITS.. not really good..so i changed to coilovers.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”