Manual Tranny System question

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mazdags94

Manual Tranny System question

Post by mazdags94 »

My previous mazda was an auto and the one I bought a few months ago is auto as well. I plan on swapping to the 5spd (much more fun). However, I have never worked with the manual setup before so I know there is a clutch slave and master cylinder but I stess again, I have NEVER worked with this subsystem before. Therefore, I have no idea what the setup looks like nor do I know how the clutch and slave cylinders work together. If anyone has time, could they just simply explain the basics of the system for me. I'm good with concepts so once I know how they work I'm pretty much good for the rest (meaning, I'll figure them out). Also, if anyone has pictures to show the locations of these item, I would definitely like to see them (if you havbe them, you dont have to go out and take pics especially for me or anything :) ) .
Thanks
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

Basically, the clutch system works just like the brake system. In fact, in an MX-3, the clutch actually pulls the fluid from the brake fluid reservoir. (some cars have a different reservoir for the clutch) When you push the clutch pedal, the clutch master cylinder pushes the fluid down to the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder works just like a wheel cylinder or caliper, except that it pushes on a lever that disengages the clutch via the throw-out bearing. When you release the pedal to engage the clutch, the spring pressure in the clutch pushes the lever back, which pushes the slave cylinder back in, forcing the fluid back up to the master cylinder and reservoir. Sorry, I dont have any pics handy, but I am sure someone will put a couple up.

Also, some cars have a cable operated clutch system. In these systems, the pedal simply pulls a cable which pulls on the lever to disengage the clutch.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
Bones442

Re: Manual Tranny System question

Post by Bones442 »

Here are a couple pics from an junkyard pull
this is a shot of a pressure plate hanging off the back of a BP
Here you see the master cylinder and the tube going off to the Clutch Master.
and here is the slave cyl pushing on the rod that leads to the throw out bearing. The part that disengages the pressure plate. Hope this helps a little? Sorry for the grimy pics.. Just pulled out the factory K8 after 210K Miles.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Thanks a lot Bones, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I really appreciate these pics! Now I see what others were talkking about since my brake cylinder actually has a hole in the side of it thats plugged off so I could use that and get a new master cylinder if necessary. Thanks again.

Brian
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

You shouldn't need a new master cylinder. Just take off the rubber plug and attach the hose for the clutch there. Otherwise, you can also just put in a separate reservoir for the clutch, thats what I did in my EGT. The particular one I used came out of a Ford Ranger, but it can come out of most any vehicle that has a hydraulic clutch with its own reservoir.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Oops, I did say master cylinder didnt I? I meant slave cylinder.... :P but thanks

Return to “Transmissions”