help with short throw shifter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
doshy

help with short throw shifter

Post by doshy »

i picked up a short throw shifter today, and i cant figure out how to put it on, could some one give me a step by step tutorial, thanks
1992 mazda mx3 gs
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2878601
1992 mazda b2200 winter beater
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

This is what you do in a quick explanation:

1. Jack your car up and secure it so it’s safe.

2. Go under the car and undo the bolt that holds the bottom of the shifter to the shift fork, it is a 12 or 10mm nut and bolt so you will need a open end wrench and a socket. Put the shifter extension to the side.

3. Go into the car and take of the stock knob (if you have) by turning it counter clockwise, the boot can be pulled down.

4. Take the console apart around the shifter, there are 2 clips (I think there are 2 screws as well) on each side down towards your feet, there are also two screws behind the ashtray. You can simply pull the ashtray out. Then take the screws out where the armrest console meets the shifter one. They are on the side; you can get a screw driver in there as long as the seat is all the way back.

5. Pull the console off and out of the way. Keep the boot and all that on there.

6. If you look down at the shifters base it will be all nasty cause of the brown and white grease crap. You will need to get a screw driver and there is a Spring that is on top of the shifter ball that it pivots on, I would first pull the shifter up really hard so that it is almost out. Then you need to pry that spring out of there and save that.

7. Once you have the spring off you simply pull the rest of the shifter out and there is a big hole.

8. Reverse the steps with your new shifter!

Depending on what shifter you got, you may need to reuse the spring, that makes it so the shifter will not move up or down that’s about it. I recommend installing it, last time I did not do that and it moved up and down alot lol, I thought it was a cheapo short shifter! Its hard to get back in to so watch your fingers! I hope this helps, I pulled it all from memory.

Good luck!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Views of the pertinent areas from the online manual:

Shifter assembly:
http://www.mx-3.com/95manual/page.cfm?S ... PageNo=054

Front Console Panel:
http://www.mx-3.com/95manual/page.cfm?S ... PageNo=063

You don't have to remove the entire console, but you will have to remove the front console panel with the shift boot. After removing the ashtray and the screw under it, grab the fascia through the ashtray hole and pull it straight back to disengage the clips. There is a wire harness connection for the lighter and ashtray light that you must disconnect. Careful not to scratch up your dash or tear the shift boot. You don't have to remove any bolts from the floor to remove the shifter assembly. Just remove the bolt under the car that connects the shifter to the shift arm as stated in the previous post.

On the shifter assembly, peel off the rubber dust boot (item #22 on the exploeded view). The top coil of the spring (item #23) clips under the lip of the housing. Put a flat screwdriver under the exposed end of the spring and pry it up progressively until the entire top coil is out and the spring will pop out of the housing. Lift up on the shift lever and the entire assembly will come out of the housing (items #24-28).

BE CAREFUL!!! THE DUST BOOT (item #26) CAN BE DAMAGED WHEN REMOVING THE ASSEMBLY.

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! THE RUBBER WHICH ISOLATES THE SHIFT MECHANSM FROM THE CHASSIS IS OLD AND PROBABLY DRIED OUT AND BRITTLE. IF YOU YANK ON THE SHIFTER TOO HARD, YOU CAN TEAR IT FROMTHE HOUSING AND IT'S THE ONLY THING HOLDING YOUR SHIFT LEVER UP. HANDLE THE SHIFTER GENTLY AND DON'T PUSH DOWN HARD ON IT.

Read this thread for the description of this problem and a couple of good pictures of the shifter etc.
http://s27494.gridserver.com/phpBB2/vie ... 0d698bf4cf

I took my short shifter back out because I found that it doesn't lay back as far as the stock one and although it was a shorter throw, I had to reach quite a bit farther forward to shift.

Hope that helps.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
doshy

Post by doshy »

thanks alot guys, got the short throw on :) and i love it
1992 mazda mx3 gs
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2878601
1992 mazda b2200 winter beater
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

wytbishop wrote:
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! THE RUBBER WHICH ISOLATES THE SHIFT MECHANSM FROM THE CHASSIS IS OLD AND PROBABLY DRIED OUT AND BRITTLE. IF YOU YANK ON THE SHIFTER TOO HARD, YOU CAN TEAR IT FROMTHE HOUSING AND IT'S THE ONLY THING HOLDING YOUR SHIFT LEVER UP. HANDLE THE SHIFTER GENTLY AND DON'T PUSH DOWN HARD ON IT.
You can buy that whole bracket at mazda for 90cad if you need. I think thats fairly priced.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You can also get one out of a 93'-97' 626. It's identical. I got one for $10.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”