painting valve cover

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
doshy

painting valve cover

Post by doshy »

hey, i want to paint my valve cover and the intake manifold, do i nead to change the gaskets for them ? some people say i do, some people say i dont, kinda confused.
1992 mazda mx3 gs
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2878601
1992 mazda b2200 winter beater
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

If they are kinda new I wouldn't change them but if they are old or you dont know when they were changed. It would be a safe bet to change them. It wouldn't cost much for new gaskets anyways.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

If the VC gaskets are hard then change em, if they are soft then keep em. If you have ever noticed any oil leaks in that area around the VC then you should change em. If you have the IM off it wont hurt to change those either as they are usually somewhat beat up.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you haven't already, it's an opportunity to put in heat insulating IM gaskets! They made a big difference when I lived in Texas. Aslo, painting the IM might hinder it's ability to shed heat.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”