a v6 alternator in my 1.6?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

all you have to do is take the pulley off of your stock alt and put it onto the GS alt. I have had the 90 amp gs alt on my car for about a year with just doing this and it is just fine. The only other thing that I had to do was file the positive connecor a little to be able to get it to fit on the stud to be bolted down, It fit perffectly if I threaded it but I did not have the play in the wire to do that. Good Luck
Kakarot 135
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

this is retarded, i hear so many different stories about what needs to be done with the alternator swap.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

I did it not to long ago. The only thing that you have to do is change the pulley and the bolt goes through the opposite direction and you have to put a nut on it. if the alt comes with the bracket(ie junkyard alt) just use the bracket until you get a bolt and nut...
Kakarot 135
bawolvesfan

Post by bawolvesfan »

is it the same for an alt from a 2.5? a freind of mine upgaded to a klze and is gonna give me the old alt if itll fit
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

what do you mean the bolt goes through the opposite direction, wich bolt?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

the bolt thats goes through the oil pump hole on the bottom of the alt. it pivets on it, the bolt goes in the opposite way the rs alt goes in.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

that was EFFING stupid....i swapped the puller, put a bolt through the bottom of the alt and a nut on that so that it would actually mount. got a longer bolt and a nut on the top that bolts to the bracket and i started my car and its squeeling, it seems sooooooo slightly better when i turn on the a/c it appears to have the same amount of power, but it squeeled SOOOOO loud.then stopped, the top bolt isnt mounted all that greatly, its tight, but the bolt still spins. it got me home, at first it was froze up and the belt wouldnt spin. i did this at work, so i had proffesionals helping me.it seems like i CANT get any slack on it cuz the alt. is all the way forward and still could barely get the belt on, yet i finally got the belt on and its kinda loose. idk, i need to look at it tomorrow. but shouldnt i notice a difference? i still hesitate when an electrical load is applied, could it be the alternator belt is too tight or not tight enough? if its too tight, the only thing i can do is buy a longer belt. but i shouldnt have to do that if it worked for you all right?
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

can anyone tell me exactly what nuts and bolts they used, size and length and where this alternator made a difference.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

if the belt is too tight you will ruin your bearing and the alternator will go out quicker. if it squeals it could either be too tight or too loose and glassing the pulley. hmm what kind of accessories are you running inside your car? and what kind of a condition is your battery in?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

battery is brand new, no stereo setup, just basic radio, and radar detector, IM me on mazdamx3sohc so we can talk easier, i have that screen name for yahoo and aim/aol

BUT, i have no accessories other then a in dash radio (not subwoofers not amps or anythin) and a radar detector that plugs into my cig lighter.
the belt i can take and twist a quarter turn like its sposed to...maybe too easily not sure, but it was a B**** to put the belt on idk.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

its a old car its not like it new anymore..

GODDAMNIT

and get a smaller ize belt then
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

thats not the point, the car was always kept in great shape. and the belt is already too hard to get on.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

its 14-15 years old yeah thats not the point..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

so i should just junk it and not fix it up? cuz its old?its not capable of being better?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

yeah ur one to tell me that.

at least i know how to fix it

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”