sohc to dohc swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kakarot135

sohc to dohc swap

Post by kakarot135 »

Okay here is the question. I have a 93 Sohc that is having issues. I was wondering if a swap to a dohc from a 95 would help. looking at one with 57000 miles for 450.00 is this a decent price and if so what else from the 95 do I need. Any and all help is appreciated...
Kakarot 135
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

unless its a 1.8 DOHC BP than no its not worth it.. whole engine
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

Okay have a line on a 94 protege 1.8l dohc (BPD???) list is 850.00 but the last one was listed at 650.00 and dropped to 450.00 so who knows. I am waiting to hear what all comes with the egine as well as far as accs and ecu. If I am swaping from a Sohc B6 to the bp do I need the ecu. thanks as always

LimeGreen, thanks alot
Kakarot 135
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

u'll need a 90-94 mazda protege lx

1. The engine itself in decent condition BP-DE
2. Wiringharness
3.ECU bp-10 is the code u'll see on the ecu itself

being that u have a 93 sohc u can use ur trans and axles and clutch /flywheel

it will all bolt up to the BP.. i know i had a simlar setup like that years ago..

u can a bp trans but then u'll need to get a

flywheel
clutch
g-series trans
axles
top trans mount..

its a whole lot of stuff u need

when u can still use ur cuerrent trans keep in mind that the sohc trans can't hold up to much abuse that the BP can dish out.. most likey u'll blow ur diff up..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

You dont really need the Wiring harness, But it makes things a WEEE bit easyer on the hook up for somet things..and its easy enought to change anyways.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

LimeGreen, As far as the tranny will it hold a mostly stock bp, All that is planned for now is a CAI and if my Pacesetter exhaust will still work to keep that on the car. Turbo will be a in the future possibly but I can replace the trans then if need be.

As far as the wiring harness how much of a pain will it be to use my existing one. My first kid is on the way so I a looking at a small budget for this......

And once agian thank you for all the advice
Kakarot 135
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

update on the possible engine....

>Year : 1994
>Model : Mazda Protege
>Part : Engine
>Hollander®* Interchange®* #: 66618B
>Stock Number : 2090
>Mileage : 8k
>Description : DOHC- 8K BLACK-RO.4DRSEDPOWER5SPDAC-U
>Part Price : 850
>
>----------------------------
>Buyer's Comments
>----------------------------
>Claim Number :
>Comments : What additional parts come on this is it a stripped block or does it have alt, ps pump, ac, ecu.... Also is 850 the correct price for this engine..
>

The Reply

NONE OF THE ABOVE-BLOCK & HEAD ONLY--$250.00

Will any of my existing accs work (alternator, ps pump, ac.....)

Thanks
Kakarot 135
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Will any of my existing accs work (alternator, ps pump, ac.....)

YES but u'll will need to swap pulleys since most bp come with a v-belt... just swap the UDP and water pump pulley from ur sohc on to the Bp and u'll be OK.. ur sohc alt will bolt up.. as the PS and A/C ..

As far as the wiring harness how much of a pain will it be to use my existing one...

well ur sohc harness won't pulg up to ur injecter harness so ur going to have to cut and splice along with extending some existing wire's not to mention run 2 wires from ur vcis given u get a BP ecu.. can u use ur sohc ecu yes u can but u won't be able to copnnect vcis and u'll still have a 6500rpms vs the BP ecu's 7500 rev limit..

if u want everything to just plug ang play get the bp ecu and wiring harness. but if u want to listen to the other guys do it there way.. i spent about $150 for the ecu and harness when i was trying to use the sohc harness and ecu i said the hell with this mickey mouse shyt and bought the rite stuff i should have did that in the first place.. save me my headache..

YES the trans will hold up but only if u take care of it.. u try and peel out pop the clutch... double clutch peel out from a stand still and go it won't hold up long.. i know i grenadated my differanial at the track and that was on a bp with minor mods the usual stuff most guys get... but it lasted me for a year.. i did baby it on the streets... a 15.6@90 was my best tyme with the BP minor mods basicly OEM stock... before i started doing my crazy setups..
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

kakarot135 wrote:LimeGreen, As far as the tranny will it hold a mostly stock bp, All that is planned for now is a CAI and if my Pacesetter exhaust will still work to keep that on the car. Turbo will be a in the future possibly but I can replace the trans then if need be.

As far as the wiring harness how much of a pain will it be to use my existing one. My first kid is on the way so I a looking at a small budget for this......

And once agian thank you for all the advice
The tranny will hold if you have minor mods. I have A BP MX-3 with the 1.6 tranny and I broke the differential once in the track. More than a year has past since that and the tranny hasn't had a problem yet.
BP POWERED MX-3
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:Will any of my existing accs work (alternator, ps pump, ac.....)

YES but u'll will need to swap pulleys since most bp come with a v-belt... just swap the UDP and water pump pulley from ur sohc on to the Bp and u'll be OK.. ur sohc alt will bolt up.. as the PS and A/C ..

As far as the wiring harness how much of a pain will it be to use my existing one...

well ur sohc harness won't pulg up to ur injecter harness so ur going to have to cut and splice along with extending some existing wire's not to mention run 2 wires from ur vcis given u get a BP ecu.. can u use ur sohc ecu yes u can but u won't be able to copnnect vcis and u'll still have a 6500rpms vs the BP ecu's 7500 rev limit..

if u want everything to just plug ang play get the bp ecu and wiring harness. but if u want to listen to the other guys do it there way.. i spent about $150 for the ecu and harness when i was trying to use the sohc harness and ecu i said the hell with this mickey mouse shyt and bought the rite stuff i should have did that in the first place.. save me my headache..

YES the trans will hold up but only if u take care of it.. u try and peel out pop the clutch... double clutch peel out from a stand still and go it won't hold up long.. i know i grenadated my differanial at the track and that was on a bp with minor mods the usual stuff most guys get... but it lasted me for a year.. i did baby it on the streets... a 15.6@90 was my best tyme with the BP minor mods basicly OEM stock... before i started doing my crazy setups..
Hey, what mods did you have when you did 15.6@90 mph?
BP POWERED MX-3
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

UDP
rx-7 vaf
1.6 miata flywheel with 1.6 miata extreme ACT clutch stock MX-3 disc..
CAI
NGK plugs and wires...
2 1/4 in exhaust piping no cat... obx muffler..
14in miata rims on drag radials... front only..
short shifter

thats it but i have a lot of track tyme so that probly why i got a good tyme at the track..
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

Thank you all for all of your help. I am not all that worried about making my car fast(for lack of a better word) until I have a new daily driver but more to keep the 3 on the road so that my wife doesn't make me get rid of it. I will definitly keep all of your recomendations in mind as I go through this process. Also is this a good price for this motor or should I look for something cheaper. With 8000 miles and they say that it runs $250 seems pretty good to me but I have never priced these engines. I have mostly priced KL-ze's with the intention of getting a v6 donor car and making that swap..... Once agian thank you.
Kakarot 135

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”