Anyone have any experience with GUDE cylinder head packages?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zCat

Anyone have any experience with GUDE cylinder head packages?

Post by zCat »

I am probably going to get one for my 94 DOHC. No, don't tell me "Do a bpt swap etc. etc."...I am sticking with the stock platform and the reasons are my own. My only questions are: does anyone have any experience with the Gude cylinder head packages, and if so, about what % power increase should I expect? I have heard as much as 75 horsepower from the new head, cam, and throttle body along with an intake, headers, and full exhaust, but experience speaks louder than equipment manufacturers. I am going to rebuild my engine, and I thought to myself "Meh, why not get that cylinder head, cams, and tb for it too," so I anticipate the drive after the rebuild will be fun, as I will have brand new engine specs and a better breathing top end.
Any input would be cool. I am NOT doing a bpt swap so don't suggest it. ^_^ thanks!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

in boosted form it could be possable given if ur in a race setup like mine. in n/a form no where near that. maybe 10-20 whp in n/a form
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I have to agree with limegreen mx-3 here, it is unlikely you will see more than about 10-15whp on a B6 motor with those mods in NA form. The B6 motor is not a performance NA motor like the B16 and B18 series from Honda or the 4AGE series from Toyota.

Boost is where the power is on these motors.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i dont know.... i know vaughn has alot of mods on his sohc 323 and it has a decent amount of HP. I think SINCE the DOHC is pretty much the same engine as the 1.6l in the miata. you could look @ the gains from engine work on NA miatas
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
zCat

Post by zCat »

Yea I was going to say...I mean, we are talking about a fully ported and polished, higher-flowing cylinder head, performance camshafts, and a bigger throttle body...I think 15-20 horsepower might be a little TOO conservative of an estimate.
What I think I am going to do is just dyno the car before and after! Because I kinda want to do this regardless, and what better way to know how much horsepower it made then by actually checking? Would be interesting for sure.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i would also like to see the before and after shots. if this adds a nice amount of power id love to do this as well since i live in cali and cant do a engine swap. keep us updated :)
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

by all means go ahead. I know im still trying to prove what a stock internal BP-De in boosted form can break into the high tens. maybe low 11's in the 1/4. im already at a 12.4@118 on a BP-DE boosted mx-3.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
zCat

Post by zCat »

Well alrighty then! I am doing a few different things, so I will go ahead and get the car dynoed before and after the engine work. May be a few months. I will keep you guys posted.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

just dooooo it just dooooo it . LOL
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Too bad GUDE dont have a kit for the K8 (or do they?)

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i would check probe talk for a kit for the K series engine
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”