Fuel Filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
m7x3r

Fuel Filter

Post by m7x3r »

Hello all

quick question i am trying to change my fuel filter.. but not too sure where it's located in the engine bay.. i'm also hoping it's 20 min. job if anyone had done before and can give me heads up or any description as how to do it..

thank you in advance
Suspension Technique coils, with Tokico Blues
2.5L
Ceramic Pads and SS Break Lines
Straight Pipe
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

If it is a V6,

Stand on the passenger side of the car beside the engine bay. look beside the firewall on your left hand side....should be easy to see.... not hard to do... just make sure you relive some of the pressure off the lines first or just have a small bucket handy for the overflow of fule.. rang is allso highly recomended...
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

It is mounted on top of the tranny underneath the battery. I suggest removing the battery, battery tray, and all your intake tubing. I remember mine being kind of a pain in the butt to change. I would say an hour job at the most.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
blackops032
BANNED Member

Post by blackops032 »

its on the firewall under your master cylinder. its easy to change. takes maybe 15 min
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

its on the firewall under your master cylinder. its easy to change. takes maybe 15 min
Incorrect on both counts. The RS has it located where you say.. but the GS is mounted ontop of the tranny as Blazeredgs indicated. And since this is the V6 forum.. bad info.. Also.. since I have both a RS and 2 GS cars.. and have changed the fuel filter on each.. I can say that the GS car is relatively easy to get too and will take 30-45 minutes tops assuming you have good tools and decent mechanical apptitude. The RS however was a complete and utter PITA to do.. even with a friend under the car to help.. it took us almost 1.5 hours to get the job done. Granted the bracket seemed almost welded to the filter.. but the location of the filter and the location of the screw to loosen the filter bracket were absolute hell to get to. In fact.. after working on both my 94 RS and 92 GS.. I can honestly say that whoever laid out the location of parts on the RS was doing some drugs at the time they did the design. Designers and Engineers should be required to spend 1 year working on the cars they come up with for every year they spend doing the designs. Betcha things would be a lot easier to work on after that happened ;) Just my opinion :lol:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

SO if i understand you guys correctly the filter should be on top of the master cylinder driver side just below the air box filter.... oh btw it's a 92 GS 5spd ... so ya i am gonna take out my batt. and its rack and hopefully i'll be able to get to it without taking apart the vacume and intake tubes...
2.5L
Straight Pipe
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

SO if i understand you guys correctly the filter should be on top of the master cylinder driver side just below the air box filter.... oh btw it's a 92 GS 5spd .
If by that you mean its on top of the transmission.. then yes ;) Its actually bolted in place along where the engine & transmission bolt together.. closer to the back side of the trans & engine than the front. Its a black canister with a rubber line attached to either end. You can also follow the fuel line from the fuel rail down to the filter.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

you also mite wanna get some new fuel line clamps..as the stock/factory ones will most likey be junk and may not seal/clamp good enough nemore..good luck
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Thax for all the support guys .... i wanted to start it earlier but it looks like this long weekend is going to be the time to do it as well as trying to fit my projectors on.... :x
2.5L
Straight Pipe

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”