AWR Solid Motor Mounts

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
Slammed6

AWR Solid Motor Mounts

Post by Slammed6 »

AWR has made the front motor mount for the MX-3. Its a direct drop in.
" Mazda mx3 V-6 Front engine mount. Fabricated steel body with polyurethane bushings, gold zinc plated. Front mount only. "

And after AWR took some measurements from my rear motor mount, they now sent me pics of the prototypes.

You can also choose to upgrade the front motor mount and use the Probe/Mx-6 mount. Its alot beefier. And it is still a direct drop in, just need the 2-stud holes on the crossmember to be opened from the factory 3/8" to a 1/2". Other than that its a direct drop in.
"FRONT ONLY. This motor mount, utilizes polyurethane bushings in a reinforced gold cadmium plated housing was designed to cure the rock in the engine caused by worn out factory mounts. Not only does it eliminate most of the movement but they increase shifting crispness in the manual application. Available for auto trans cars. FITS 626, MX-6, PROBE 4 CYL AND V-6

Uses 88 Durometer urethane."

So if your interested in this motor mount, contact AWR and let them know your interested.
http://www.awrracing.com
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

:O :O omg im getting a set of these!!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I'm interested but I want a price first!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Look at their prices on their site...i don't know for the rear one but i am assuming its gonna be the same as their price for the front. $69.99
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

So these are the really solid mount type where you will definitely feel engine vibration through them?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well u will feel more vibration than stock. It really depends on idle speed, and how smooth your engine runs.

My brother has the Probe front mount on his MX-3 from AWR and a stock rear mount, soon to be AWR rear, and it is smooth no vibration, but def noticable when under WOT.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Sweet!

Try arranging a groupbuy for us :)
That would be nice.

I want the Probe fronts & Mx-3 rears for sure.
95 durometer front & 88 durometer rear :)

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Just a note guys, but you do not want your mounts too stiff. The less they flex the more stress is put on the metal of the eninge and trans. That translates to breaks more frequently as they are made of aluminum and the mount of steel. Meaning that the aluminum trans and motor are now weaker than the mounts and in a tug of war will loose. I wouldn't go harder than 80A. my .02 The shift will be more crisp, especially under load, with a harder urethane. However, that doesn't seem like a good trade when you consider the cost and work of replacing a trans or engine. If you doubt me ask the Probe and MX-6 guys why they can buy a trans brace? It is b/c thier trans mount is a tad different than ours and hard driven cars are known to break the trans caseing. Our trans mounts are acutally a bit better at preventing that, but with the new advent of stronger mounts, which the MX-6 and Probe hae had for some time, we could start seeing more of the same issues with the MX-3 too.
Now, to top all this off, I have filled MS mounts with 80A urethane. The feel and shift were greatly imporved with the filling. However, I do not drag race (the place where the most stress is put on the mount points) and shift pretty smoothly even when I race on the track. I have not had any problems with my filled mounts, but do not drive all that hard b/c I do not want a problem.
Just wanted to point out the up and down of this product. If used with some knowledge it can be a great mod. If abused, like most mods, it can be costly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ya i heard all that from a sourse.. it kinda scared me to buy them actually i knew with hard mounts breakage can become a very easy thing to do but i never thought of the trans case..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Actually there is a really good reason y the MX-6/Probe's break the casing.

Since i have had both cars and have been tearing them apart for years, the key to the MX-3 not breaking the casing is the way the Rear mount is attached.

The MX-3 rear mount is attached with through bolts on the back of the tranny. The braket goes on both sides of the tranny and then the bolt goes through the bracket and completely through the tranny then out the otherside of the bracket. Sorry i don't have pics but i am sure you can find some. Picture a C and the tranny is sandwhiched inside.

The MX-6/Probe is bolted to the tranny totally different. there is a braket bolted to one side with 3 bolts that thread through the bracket and into the tranny approx 1" and to add on top of that the parts they hold on to is prob the weakest part of the tranny.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, they attach at the diff casing. However, it is still a weak spot that takes alot of abuse just from the trans torque. So adding a more rigid mount only increases the stress on the trans case. I don't think this will be an issue if you take care not to be too rough on your shifts. However, some seem to think a car is indestructable when behind the wheel and I wanted to make the members aware of a potential problem if they drive like a mad man or drag race. However, solid mounts are commonly used in drag race applications and are good for getting a better launch and makes shifting into second easier too. However, that comes at a price...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

The MX-3 WILL NOT break the casing like the Probe/MX-6's do. Its impossible. The ONLY reason y the probe/Mx-6 breaks the case is cause the mounting location.

I have beat on my trannies day in and out and i have had filled mounts..not solid, but close enough and i have never broke a case. I would not be suprised to see that pretty much no one has broken the trans case in a MX-3 due to the monts.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE!!!

I received the prototype mount the other day and am working out some little details with AWR, but rest assure this will be a direct drop in.

Here is a pic for you:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just curious.. is the mount bushing replaceable? Or do you have to buy a whole new mount if it wears out in a few years?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is a high durometer urethane. I bet it lasts longer than the car. If anything the metal will rust out before the urethane dries and starts cracking.

Return to “New Product Development”