what style disks are the best

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
IRISHmx-3

what style disks are the best

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

I'm prepping the car for track use and cant afford a big break kit so im looking to upgrade my pads and disks the main question im faced with is whats ging to be better for me?
Drilled
groved(slotted)
Drilled & slotted
Full disk

please your oppinions guys!
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I got slotted & drilled now.
Next time I`m probably just getting slotted discs.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

and why is that? just to see the difference? or what?
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Drilled discs can crack a lot easier.
not totally, but hairline cracks from the drilled holes.
If you get such cracks here in Norway, and you get stopped in a technical check. You get an immediate appointment to show new discs.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

oh well thats understandable!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'd recommend full/blank disks for track use. Any kind of drilling or cutting done to the disks reduces the amount of heat absorbing material, and makes the disk more fragile. Slotted are also very hard to get turned.
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

I Know loads of groups fr groved and drilled! who makes he beast blanks? and also remembering i have the SI [RS] 1.5 i need rears too!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Most any blank rotor will be the same as the next brand. I ususally use the cheapest rotor I can get my hands on. The real place to spend money and get better braking is in the pads. Remember, the more racey the pads the more heat they need to opperate. I've seen plenty of people talk badly about good pads. It is usually not the pad, but that the user didn't understand what they were buying. B/c street driving doesn't create alot of heat in the brakes a performance pad will stop the car more slowly if not used aggressively.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

PATDIESEL wrote:Most any blank rotor will be the same as the next brand. I ususally use the cheapest rotor I can get my hands on. The real place to spend money and get better braking is in the pads. Remember, the more racey the pads the more heat they need to opperate. I've seen plenty of people talk badly about good pads. It is usually not the pad, but that the user didn't understand what they were buying. B/c street driving doesn't create alot of heat in the brakes a performance pad will stop the car more slowly if not used aggressively.
Agree on the rotor comment. Gray iron is gray iron there is little metallurgically to improve it. Along with selecting the right pads for the type of driving you actually do, not dream of doing. The biggest bang for the buck to increase braking performance is to maintain the front brake calipers with every oil change and maintain or improve the suspension rather than throwing money at visual improvements. A rear to front weight shift when braking due to weak springs and struts increase stopping distances as do sticking caliper that is only applying pressure to the inside pad.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

IRISHmx-3 wrote:I Know loads of groups fr groved and drilled! who makes he beast blanks? and also remembering i have the SI [RS] 1.5 i need rears too!
You being Europe you do have one option that most of us in North America don't have. I recently found that the 11.2" front rotors for a 1.9 TDI Fiat Grande Punto Sport are almost dimentionally identical to the stock front rotors the 323 family of cars other than the OD. I recently had 3 set shipped over from Portugal along will 2 of the super duty G25 MXt also only used in Europe. For now I will be using them with the stock 22V14 calipers with an adaptor bracket but have been reworking old machining drawings to use a Wilwood Dynalite 4 pot caliper as soon as I get around to calculating which piston size to use for best braking balance. For the rear I did managed get my hands on a pair of the few remaining 10.8" rear rotors for a mid 90's Familia RS which there were only 100 cars made and sold in Japan only
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

would fitting them mean i would need to change the callapers too? changing the the 11.5" like!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The 285mm Fiat rotor should be a direct bolt on to the front 323/ MX-3 hubs in place of the stock 254mm rotor. They have the same offset and the same 22mm disc width. I haven't got around to unpacking the crated so the only issue I can see is the some Fiat's use a 4 X 98mm wheel bolt pattern and some have the same 4 X 100 bolt pattern and the shop in Lisbon wasn't very clear on which it is. To use the stock calipers you would need to machine a simple stepped adaptor bracket to space the caliper out for a larger pitch circle diameter and flatten out the dust shield behind the disc. Sometimes I wish we still had the assembly shop in Annicotty it was much easier getting answers from the countermen in Eire.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Why would you want to use larger rotors? Especially if the pads don't take advantage of the extra surface, as well your adding more rotational mass to the wheels
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

think ill keep to the mx-3 parts
new disks and pads
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

how wonderful!! i never thought id see the day others would also recommend blank rotors and good pads for braking upgrades. i remember years ago when i used to get flamed for making that kind of recommendation. the ricer mx3 owner population decreases and the number of tuners increases.
8) x2

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”