Headlight casing removal-- Help?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
chikusho

Headlight casing removal-- Help?

Post by chikusho »

So I've got the chilton's layout of the headlight casing itself, and I'm seeing where the two hidden bolts should be.

I can't get to them and I know I can't be the only person who has run into this problem.

I can take my time because the lights work fine, I just want to remove them so I can clean the plastic lense from the inside.

But- I can't... GET... the DARN.. THINGS.. OUTTTTTT*dies*

SO. If any of you gurus out there have a trick for getting to that hidden bolt, I may just send you a cheesecake. <3

-Harley
"I guess it's nice to have the kind of money that can purchase the speed provided by that stock engine.. and I guess it's kind of cool to get on the freeway, slam the gas peddle down to the floor and fly past me in your luxury car... I mean, sure money can buy the horsepower, but I ask you this- can you drive it sideways?"
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I love cheesecake, so I'll answer your question :D
quick question- is cheese cake one word or two?
To answer your question- the two hidden bolts are
1. just under the outside corners of the upper mouth on the bumper- to get to these you can take the upper bumper bolts out and pull the bumper away to get at them. However, this will not be enough to remove the lights from the car. You usually have to keep taking bumper bolts and clips off until you can pull it out of the way of the light. If you've never taken a bumper off you'll be suprised at how many things hold it on. Take a look in your manual to see all that keeps it attached. Then when putting it all back together make sure to take your time and line it all back up properly.
2. the second bolt is just behind the turn signal/s. Take the turn signal out, look into and slightly above the hole in the bumper and you'll see it. This last bolt is what makes it so hard to remove the lights as the plastic tab is long enough to make it a pain to work around the bumper when trying to pull the light out.
GL, I bet you say at least a hand full of curse words while working on this... ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
chikusho

Post by chikusho »

[quote="PATDIESEL"]I love cheesecake, so I'll answer your question :D
quick question- is cheese cake one word or two?
[/quote]

Ah! One word. And would you like that chocolate, strawberry or plain?
:wink:

[quote="PATDIESEL"]
To answer your question- the two hidden bolts are
1. just under the outside corners of the upper mouth on the bumper- to get to these you can take the upper bumper bolts out and pull the bumper away to get at them. However, this will not be enough to remove the lights from the car. You usually have to keep taking bumper bolts and clips off until you can pull it out of the way of the light. If you've never taken a bumper off you'll be suprised at how many things hold it on. Take a look in your manual to see all that keeps it attached. Then when putting it all back together make sure to take your time and line it all back up properly.
2. the second bolt is just behind the turn signal/s. Take the turn signal out, look into and slightly above the hole in the bumper and you'll see it. This last bolt is what makes it so hard to remove the lights as the plastic tab is long enough to make it a pain to work around the bumper when trying to pull the light out.
[/quote]

Removing the front bumper had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if anyone had taken to just doing it.
[quote="PATDIESEL"]
GL, I bet you say at least a hand full of curse words while working on this... ;)[/quote]

Oh and I have!! So yeap, they are where I am looking, I just need to be more persistent in getting to them.
"I guess it's nice to have the kind of money that can purchase the speed provided by that stock engine.. and I guess it's kind of cool to get on the freeway, slam the gas peddle down to the floor and fly past me in your luxury car... I mean, sure money can buy the horsepower, but I ask you this- can you drive it sideways?"

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”