muffler

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
golhap27
BANNED Member

muffler

Post by golhap27 »

The stock muffler on my car is sounding really bad and pretty annoying, so i want to replace it. what do you guys think sounds the best?
im looking at a flowmaster 40 series with 2.5 inlet and outlet. or a magnaflow.
or if theres anything else that sounds better?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Borla sounds quite good, but pricey, due to its stainless nature.

I have a Magnaflow, and, it seems, so do most people. Good sound, not too loud, but still carries the strength.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I put the Flowmaster 40 Series Delta flow SS Muffler on. Fitment is fun but it sounds good. Definitely has more presence than stock and feels like its faster (I think it's just the sound). I'm not sure what it sounds like outside while driving around.
Cody
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

tehbrookzorz wrote:I put the Flowmaster 40 Series Delta flow SS Muffler on. Fitment is fun but it sounds good. Definitely has more presence than stock and feels like its faster (I think it's just the sound). I'm not sure what it sounds like outside while driving around.
whats the size of the inlet outlet?
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

what is the inlet size to put a muffler on the stock exhaust of the mx-3 se? i can get a good deal on a magnaflow that has a 2.25 inlet would it be possible to put it on a 2.5?
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

That depends on what your plans are for the car. I got my muffler with 2.5" inlet and outlet, but I have stock piping all the way forward. The only reason I did this is because I plan to upgrade my engine and plumb my entire exhaust system bigger. In my case, I used couplers to bridge the gap in pipe size, but you shouldn't need to go with that big of an inlet, and finding a nice tip for an outlet that size is a pain.
Cody
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

i thought the inlet you needed for stock was 2.5..I'll probably keep it stock, but for right now what do i need to do if the muffler is 2.25 inlet?
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I think stock is closer to 2"
Cody
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I think it is less than 2" even. All the ones mentioned are good mufflers. Also, to hear what it sounds like outside the car, just ride with the hatch open for a minute. I doubt it is legal, but sure does sound good. The exhaust fumes will draft into the cabin though, so be careful not to poison yourself. :lol:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

I bought a magnaflow dual tip that looks really nice..So the inlet is 2.25 how would i get it to fit the stock?
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

can someone please answer my question?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Get a Greddy :D
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I already answered you, get a reduction coupler and some clamps, unless you can weld or know someone who can weld, then skip the clamps.
Cody
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

I can weld, but wouldn't i have to put something in between the two pipes to make it fit better or could do i just weld the 2.25 muffler to the stock?
Sal

Post by Sal »

let the mechanic weld it as well as welding the hooks on the muffler from the metal part of the car, in order to support it and hold it in place. hope u know wut i mean cause i 4got the proper name for it...lol the 2.25' inlet will fit to our stock exhaust and its size is 1 7/8'.

also has ne one of you heard of vortex mufflers there comparable to magnaflow and flowmaster i think. they're stock looking but there really performance mufflers and they come in all black with no tip. i seen them today and the guy told me there used alot for muscle cars they have a good rumble to it and there not that loud on idle. he also said they will fit imports as well.
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”