vavle cover gasket

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kkyin

vavle cover gasket

Post by kkyin »

I finally took the valve cover off, now what do you use to remove the sealant that are remaining on the groove? I'm scraping it off with a wooden stick, not very effective, any suggestion?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Use a wide flat head screw driver.. even a chisel will work well. You can also us Putty knives or there are even tools made specifically for gasket removal. The real trick is to take your time.. get it all.. and then wipe with a good solvent and soft lint free cloth. Making sure to get all oil residue off of the areas where the gaskets make contact with the valve cover and the head.

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mx3biotch

Post by mx3biotch »

When I did my valve cover gaskets I cleaned the whole thing with varsol first, then I rinsed it off and used flat blades and brake cleaner to clean the grooves, then I used an air line to clean out any moisture from the cover throughout. Seemed to work and the most mechanical work I'd ever done before to my car was change the oil and flush the coolant and change my plugs and wires!
94 GS, J-spec KLZE, KL31 ECU, KL31 Cams, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch, Custom CAI with K&N, NGK Plugs/Wires, Phenolic Thermoblock Spacers, Custom Magnaflow 2" Exhaust, Custom Titanium Paint, Carbon Fiber Altezzas, 16" Miata Wheels, Crossed Drilled Rotors w/Silver Calipers, Tint, Ground Control/Tockiko Suspension, Ground Control Rear Strut Bar, 6 Point Roll Cage, Corbeau CR2 Seats, Sparco 3 Point Harness, MOMO steering wheel/drifting e-brake/shifter, mx3 door sills/pedals, Carbon Fiber dash inserts, Silver vinyl door insterts, JBL power series 6.5" front components/4x6 rear components, 4 channel amp, infinity 10" self powered sub, JVC 2.5" DVD/Mp3 Player.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

screwdriver and 1000 sandpaper.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

paintstripper works great... I was afraid to scratch it... now it's clean and shinny :P

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”