power steering pump???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wvurubberducky

power steering pump???

Post by wvurubberducky »

Ok so lately my power steering has been making a sqealing noise while turning. It is full on fluid (located near the oil sipstick correct??), i can still turn it a lil but it sqeals so do you guys think it is going bad on me? will one off a 93 probe gt work? do the 4 cylinders have power steering pumps that i can use, etc?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Check belt tension and tighten up the belt...
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

if the belt is loose wouldn't that affect my water pump also and possibly over heat? I know the belt runs the power steering pump and water pump but never dealt witha bad power steering pump before.

just asking because this seems to make since and my temp is still fine while driving.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

If the belt is loose enough to not run the water pump - then it will be squealing all the time - not just during turns. Also check PS fluid level and condition - maybe a flush is needed too.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The water pump turns a LOT easier than the power steering pump.. the belt would have to almost be off before it would stop spinning the water pump.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

k, the fluid is full but kind of a brownish color, so should i flush it and how?? also i will check the tension on the belt tomorrow also. again my belt is not sqealing all the time, just during turns and the temp is staying normal as always, just no power steering now and sqealing while turning it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

So your saying the belt squeels during turns and you have no power steering at all? And the fluid is brown? Power steering fluid is clear usually.. so it sounds like yours has definitely been abused. So flushing the system would be a good idea. I am sure you can find details about how to do that in the online shop manual located in the left column of links on the main mx-3.com home page.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I think that you jack the car up, disconnect one of the lines at the rack, then turn the wheel from lock to lock until you are out of fluid. Then repalce the line and fill the fluid, turn the wheel from lock to lock until it quite accepting fluid. Drop car, crank, turn from lock to lock and check fluid level. Pretty simple really. However, check your belt tension and belt condition first. If the ribbed side of the belt shows cracks when you flex it then it needs to be replaced.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just finished installing a new pump on mine. mine was squeaking side to side at first but then it stpped. The belt was new so i am thinking that it just needed to worked in a little. Its really easy to change a pump if need be. the 4cyl ones wont work but any KL series 6cyl will work. I got mine of a probe.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”