Are Muteki lug nuts of decent quality?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Whisper

Are Muteki lug nuts of decent quality?

Post by Whisper »

Seem they're reasonably priced, but are they reasonably made? Anyone have experience with these?

What about Gorilla lugs?

Thnx.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

O_o

They're lug nuts. What do you expect from them?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

What do you mean? The general qualities, like resistance to rusting, resistance to paint fading/peeling, resistance to stripping or cracking. I looked around and it seems they're generally poopy, plus they don't come with a lock, they just use a generic spline drive key.

I also found that McGard lugs are of a fairly decent quality and are still cheaper than Rays/Work/etc, and are stronger/harder, due to being steel. They don't have locking nuts in color variations aside from chrome, black, and gold. I wanted red lugs, but I could probably go with black.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'd go black.
Cody
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

My car is white, though. Even my wheels. For purely aesthetic qualities red would've been a nice accent. However, quality, and security take precedence over looks, so I went with black.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

muteki lug nuts are good quality. they may be less in price and look like kyogens (duno how to spell it) but they are not the same quality. the kyogens are very cheap and strip easily. muteki is made by mackin industries and are very reasonably priced as well as good quality

not all lug nuts are created equal.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Hmm, I was under the impression that Kyokugen and Muteki (and maybe Gorilla) are the same, just sold by different companies. Work, Rays, etc. seem to come from the same batch, just with different logos on them, so I assumed similar deal applied to the lower-end tuner nuts.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

work and rays are made by totally different company

volk and rays however are made by the same company. both are subsidiaries of mackin industries.

work wheels are a higher end wheel than anything produced by mackin industries.

none of them are low end tuner products and nothing mackin industries manufactures is a low end tuner product.

kyogen are made by neither and are indeed a low end tuner product. i have a few sets of muteki open end light weight lugs and they are great.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Ah, alright. I just heard someone mention that Work, Rays (and I forget what else...Spoon?) are the same, and the companies just stamp their logos on them. They do look very much alike, and cost about the same too.

Doesn't matter. They're all overpriced for street and mild track driving. My McGard splines just came in. Look fairly good, and have independent cones, which allegedly supposed to prevent scratching the lug seat on the wheel, and allows for more accurate torquing. Probably somewhat of a gimmick, but I don't care.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

muteki lugs can be had for $20 bucks at your local speed shop. not to mention you can get lightweight open ended lug nuts for the same price if u choose.

regamaster makes spoon sw388. work is its own company and volk is under mackin industries. work is not a mackin industry product line but volk and muteki are. there is nothing wrong with mcgards but for the money id rather buy a set of muteki light weight lugs

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”