How long would a KLZE swap take?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Whisper

How long would a KLZE swap take?

Post by Whisper »

Searched and didn't find much.

Those of you who have done engine swaps, roughly how many hours or days did it take you? I'm talking strictly labor, not including the time it took to obtain all the parts and tools.

TIA
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Assuming a well organized shop with decent tools and at least one person to help.. it could be done in 4-5 hours. I bet someone could do it faster.. but that would be about average. Thats not counting finding parts or tuning.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

Do you need any other parts besides the engine block?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

moca did one in about what 12 hours?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

first time i did it..i did it over the course of 3 days. It was my very first motor swap too. Second time i did it in a day.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

3 evenings after work it took us.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

same here 3 evenings after work.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Yea really you can figure it will take you a day, to pull the original out, and to prep the other motor to go in. then you figure the next day is dropping the other one in, and getting everything hooked up and running properly.

But yea i would say the average is about 2 to 3 days, just depends on how many people you have and what your expierence (along with the other peeps) with mechanics.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I freely admit that my estimate of 4-5 hours is simply to yank one motor and to drop the next one in. And with 2 people at least that know what they are doing and have done such work on a MX-3 before. Not to mention air tools & a well organized shop.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

It takes me about 6 hrs to swap everything on my MX-3...hand tools, in the driveway with jack and jackstands and by myself..lol. But i have alot of experience in KLZe swaps

A general straight swap in a MX-6 with full accessories from running to running takes me about 8-9 hrs by myself.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Aight, thanks.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”