Exhaust for my 93 mx-3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
golhap27
BANNED Member

Exhaust for my 93 mx-3

Post by golhap27 »

Hi I'm going to get exhaust put on my car and i was wondering what size I should get. I was thinking 2.25 would be the best...My exhaust right now sounds really bad like theres a hole and it must be plugged really bad. Do you think exhaust will help the performance quite a bit?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Depends on what motor you have. I see that it is a V6, but is it still the stock K8? If so I wouldn't go larger than 2". Usual rule of thumb sais 1" of pipe for every liter of engine displacement. So the stock motor is 1.8L V6, that would be between 1 3/4" and 2", but closer to 1 3/4".
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

If your not planning to do performance upgrade you might as well just keep the stock exhaust but just change the muffler

I hear MagnaFlows and Borla mufflers are really good but really really $$$. Flowmasters not so good
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

I'm going for performance and its a stock 1.8l v6. I'm thinking a 1 3/4 would be too small
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Ask the exhaust shop. I am sure that what I posted above is a good general guidline.
As for Flow Master not being good, sais who? I use a Flow Master and am sure I have more HP than most any other ZE with the same basic mods. The Flow Masters use a delta chamber muffler which is great for exhaust flow. Mine has 0 rust, sounds good and fits very well.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:Ask the exhaust shop. I am sure that what I posted above is a good general guidline.
As for Flow Master not being good, sais who? I use a Flow Master and am sure I have more HP than most any other ZE with the same basic mods. The Flow Masters use a delta chamber muffler which is great for exhaust flow. Mine has 0 rust, sounds good and fits very well.
As for sound alot of people at ProbeTalk and some here dont like it. Performance wise its good.

If you dont plan to do a engine swap you should probably stick with stock exhaust but with aftermarket muffler
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

why? I'm going for performance and right now its way too small and is very plugged up. my engine has a lot of upgrades. My uncle owns a shop so he put brembo brakes, racing tubes belts sparkplugs and wires. he flushed out replaced all the fluids cleaned out the clutch..and much more that i cant remember
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

IMO,
If your not going to do a KLDE or KLZE swap but your just going to add performance upgrades to your K8 engine, its not going to make a big difference in HP at all. In the end your just waistin money unless you plan to do a engine swap in the future.

Sure you can go for a bigger exhaust like a 2.25inch exhaust piping that will add a bit more performance power. But even after that and other bolt on mods like say CAI, your still going to have a 145-150hp car (at the very best) with really crappy torque.

Its just my opinion. Im just trying to say that if you are never going to do a engine swap, might aswell keep the stock piping and just change out the muffler.

A KLDE engine should only cost you about $300-$500 (localy) with ECU and everything else needed. Thats 160hp/160ft torque
A KLZE (200hp/160ft torque) should be about $700-$1000 including ECU and a few other stuff.
There bolt on swaps so it should be as easy as taking out your K8 and just putting it back in

I could tell you this though. A KLZE MX3 will take any non-turboed Civic or Integra. It might have problems against a built B18 or H20 CRX tho
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

one problem they dont sell those engines anywhere in oregon and if they did i dont think i would find one for 300. and im fine with 150-160hp which is the amount of the klde. I might be able to afford a klde but not a klze. but if i were to get a klze or klde what would i need to get with the engine, because i see them on ebay, but not sure what i would need all with it. it would be nice if i just needed the engine block. Thanks for the info guys
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

if its a klde get the 2.25 2.5 you loose torque. I lost a few lbs when i went from stock 1.8 to 2.5
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Sal

Post by Sal »

some of the things u guys said was interesting. i was planning on puttin new headers and exahust 2.25' on my k8, but from wat i read theres really no point of doing that not much difference in power and i'll be losing out on tourqe. better to get a klde which will give me more horses and tourqe then the headers and exhaust alone on my k8.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that you are correct.. a klde will give you more power than the headers.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

No junkyards around where you live?
The most your going to gain with bolt on mods on a K8 engine would probably be only 10hp.

So for about $300 (at the very least for complete exhaust) your only going to gain 10hp. For about the same amount of money or porbably $200 more you can gain +25hp and +45ft torque from a KLDE swap
Even more with a KLZE.

Besides the engine I think on the V6 FAQ there is a thread discussing what you would need
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

yeah but exhaust isnt just for hp its a lot better for your engine and makes it run better it also can help gas mileage because of this..
My uncle told me it needs new exhaust and im going to listen to him since he owns a shop and used to race forumal 1 and has been around cars for a long time
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

There's a nice FAQ about "Backpressure" In the FAQ section.
If you go too big, you will actually lose exhaust velocity and will kill your bottom end punch/torque. A bigger exhaust will make more top end horsepower though because it "breathes better."
I had a nice huge hole open up behind my cat. It made lots of noise, which was cool, but I did notice that I couldn't leave stoplights quite as quickly. It did seem to pull harder above 4000rpm, but I'd rather have the stoplight horsepower/torque to get me off the line. It's for practical, safe purposes I promise :D

Anyway, decide what kind of driving you do and go from there. If you spend a lot of time above 4000rpm, go a little bigger. If you'd rather hold on to the very small amount of bottom end power our K8s have, get a smaller exhaust closer to the size of stock.
-Eric

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”