FROM EXPERIENCE.. best ECU for KLZE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wilko33

FROM EXPERIENCE.. best ECU for KLZE swap

Post by wilko33 »

Before anyone starts telling me to hit the search button I'm wanting opinion from those who have done the switch. I dont know whether to buy a KL31/36 and just straight swap it, to use my K8 ECU for the time being or whether to buy a KLZE chipped ECU from ebay (I am VERY dubious about these though).

I am going to be starting with the K8 Dissy and JE50 VAF from my K8 too. Which ECU would we go for??
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well if you would have searched i guess you would have discovered that kl36 ecu is for curved neck klze and kl31 ecu is for straight neck, but you tols us not to ask you to search. Also you would have found out you can get 1rstprobinator to chip your ecu for less than what the ecu costs anywhere but well I cant tell you to search for the info :P
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Use the kl31/36 ecu if you can, that is a direct swap in with no mods. You can also get a Probinator chip and get your k8 one switched up. I wouldnt really buy the ones off eBay.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

hgallegos915 wrote:well if you would have searched i guess you would have discovered that kl36 ecu is for curved neck klze and kl31 ecu is for straight neck
Holly misinformation...not at all. There are no proper ECU's for the curved-neck ZE. The KL31 and KL36 ECU's are for the straight neck KLZE and the VRIS points are programmed for that. It was theorized that the KL31 was for manual gearbox and KL36 for automatic transmission, but they've been found in their respective counter parts as well (and if you check in an auto Mx-3, there's a seperate ECU for the auto tranny), so in essence, no one knows the difference between a KL31 and KL36, however, they are both for straight neck KLZE's. Either way, they work best with the stock JE50 VAF

Another setup that apparently works well is the stock KLDE ECU and VAF combo.

If you want a proper ECU, it would be to get one, could even be your K8 ECu (except early 92's), get a Probinator reprogrammed for your proper KLZE.

eBay rechipped "performance" upgrades are just boxes with resistors that trick the ECU into dumping more fuel, not effecient since more fuel does not mean more power (a proper air/fuel mix that is more lean usually leads more power) and jsut wastes gas.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had fun posting that haha to abd its not correct :( lol jokes on me :(

:)

on the positive note.. ANOTHER MX3 with ZE swapp.. w00t!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

all this talk about ecu's....

so can i take an atx ecu from a 93 626 and do my swap to the 92 gs mtx model as long as i use the ecu and vaf from the 626?? will it matter coming from an auto to the manual trans? (since the auto mx-3 has a different ecu than the mtx one i guess.

also the motor will be a klde correct?
bdr2k5

Post by bdr2k5 »

wvurubberducky wrote:all this talk about ecu's....

so can i take an atx ecu from a 93 626 and do my swap to the 92 gs mtx model as long as i use the ecu and vaf from the 626?? will it matter coming from an auto to the manual trans? (since the auto mx-3 has a different ecu than the mtx one i guess.

no, the pinouts on the 626 are different, unless u have time to rewire your harness connector u can do that
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I was under the impression that a KL-31 ECU works best with KL-31 cams and the KL-36 ECU works best with KL-01 cams... I could be wrong... but I've had successful results with mine!!

I'm running KL-01 cams with a KL-36 ECU (modified with no rev limiter or fuel cutoff)... I tried it with the stock k8 but it runs like crap... and way too rich... just my personal experience :shrug:
Last edited by Mooneggs on June 7th, 2007, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hharb

Post by hharb »

chipped k8? or stock, cuz stock k8 ecus are horrible on ZEs
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Is there an OBDII ecu for any kl motor that can be used in a OBDII mx3? and what vaf would it use?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

bdr2k5 wrote:
wvurubberducky wrote:all this talk about ecu's....

no, the pinouts on the 626 are different, unless u have time to rewire your harness connector u can do that
I dont think so. I dont believe the ECU has anything to do with the transmission, the Mx-3's have a seperate ECU for the ATX I believe. I'm farily sure you can plug in any K-series OBDI ECU between the Mx-3, Probe, Mx-6 and 626.
Mooneggs wrote:I was under the impression that a KL-31 ECU works best with KL-31 cams and the KL-36 ECU works best with KL-01 cams... I could be wrong... but I've had successful results with mine!!

I'm running KL-01 cams with a KL-36 ECU (modified with no rev limiter or fuel cutoff)... I tried it with the stock k8 but it runs like crap... and way too rich... just my personal experience :shrug:
Lotsa theories, some say 36 is for auto hile 31 are for manuals, but they've been found in their respective counterparts as well. Besides, that theory doesn't work because both those ECU's dont have the right VRIS points set for a curved-neck ZE, and the KL-01 cams only come in the curved-neck.

I ran my K8 ECU for a week before my 36 arrived, and i totally agree, ran as rich as a mofo.

ho bag wrote:Is there an OBDII ecu for any kl motor that can be used in a OBDII mx3? and what vaf would it use?
No idea, and technicallt it's a MAF, but it would use the MAF out of whatever vehicle the ECU came out of
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Besides, that theory doesn't work because both those ECU's dont have the right VRIS points set for a curved-neck ZE, and the KL-01 cams only come in the curved-neck.
so are you saying that I have the wrong ECU? what are people who have kl-01 cams supposed to do LOL???! :crying:

my vris kicks in at around 4400 then again around 5500 and man does it KICK - so is my theory correct based on those facts?!!! :lol:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

hharb wrote:chipped k8? or stock, cuz stock k8 ecus are horrible on ZEs
Nit in my experience. :shrug:
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I ran a k8 ecu for 8 months, ran fine car ran rich as a mofo and had no torque. rana kl31 for a day wow what a difference, then i got a k8 chiped from probinator, kl31 cams and urve neck amnifold vris points. the car is really nice with it. onc eof the best things i'v done!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mooneggs wrote:so are you saying that I have the wrong ECU? what are people who have kl-01 cams supposed to do LOL???! :crying:

my vris kicks in at around 4400 then again around 5500 and man does it KICK - so is my theory correct based on those facts?!!! :lol:
It's not about the cams, but it's a problem with anyone, either 01 or 31 cams, who is using the curved-neck intake manifold. The VRIS points are configured accorind to the IM, not the cams, I'm farily sure, but it could be true that the cams are taken into consideration because of the fact that they would have the 31 cams with the straight neck. People have been runing 31/36 ECU's on ZE'd with 01 cam'd Mx-3's for years. Not to say you wont run right or fast, oh and she'll still kick, it's just that it's not configured 100% according to what the ECU is setup for. That's the reason why some people are obsessed with getting 31 cam'd straight neck in Mx-3's...Although you can get a Probinator ECU configured for your, or any, setup, what will actually usually yeild more gains above that is a megasquirt system

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”