Mounting the MAF/VAF Post-Intercooler...

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Cy

Post by Cy »

Why are so many people putting it before... like stock setups...it makes no sense to me to have the incorrect air temperature being read...and for that matter the incorrect air flow.. (although airflow into the turbo = airflow out...)

I mean if it was easier to mount it pre-turbo then atleast people would be putting an Air temp sensor Post-Intercooler even IN the Intake manifold...

none the less MAP+Manifold temp sensor still ownz all...
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

The MAF sensor is supposed to be pre everything post air filter. The volume of air doesnt change after the IC...just the pressure.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

alright soo its before the intercooler but after the BOV rite?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

If you search way back in the day Dave said it doesn't really matter where you put it as long as you're accounting for all the air.

Personally I'm all for putting it as close to the throttle as possible, but I'm not turbo yet, so don't listen to me.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Im not sure if our hot wire sensors can handle boost pressure. Put it before the turbo. Nuff said.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I was thinking along the same lines as Jarid, I am not sure the MAF can take boost pressure for an extended period so mine is mounted before the turbo.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

it really doesent matter, its all preferance. it still senses the air flow. now rember the VAF is flap, and the 94 and up is hot wire MAF. the best way is always the way Mazda intended it, before the turbo and after the filter.
Cy

Post by Cy »

The hot-wire is only the measure of airflow correct..

IF so i'm going to still mount a Ford Temperature sensor @ the TB and wire that into my Megasquirt(which is what i've decided on) as the Air Temp sensor
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

My 1.6 Rs turbo setup.
My MAF was installed AFTER the intercooler and after the BOV, close to the Intake Manifold, i am using this configuration for about 1 year, no problem at all. Takes 12 PSI without any problem!
I searched a lot before this setup, and decided to give it a try, worked fine!!

Return to “Forced Induction”