Motor swap...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

sound s good, i think i can keep all of that....is this going to be pretty easy bolt-in and plug in pieces job, i think it may be a 6363 or mx-6, not sure.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

if you can, get the ECU and VAF from it
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

I can probably get those, the ecu is the computer mounted on the firewall correct? will it connect to my k8 motor? and what does VAF stand for? also will i need to have them cut the headers or will my exhaust mount up, and is this motor the 2.5L?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

wvurubberducky wrote:I can probably get those, the ecu is the computer mounted on the firewall correct? will it connect to my k8 motor? and what does VAF stand for? also will i need to have them cut the headers or will my exhaust mount up, and is this motor the 2.5L?
You may want to start using the search man.. The motor is obviusly a 2.5L v6 if it is from a V6 MX6 or 626, that is the only size they came in for a v6. The I4 was a 2.0L

Yes, if it is a OBDI car (older then 94) then you can use the ECU and it should plug right into our harness. The VAF stands for Vane Air Flow sensor, it is like a MAF but instead of a "door" style opening it uses a plunger to move up and down to control air movement. Either case, it is on the end of the stock air intake conected to the airbox. Looks like a black cylinder shaped deal. Grab those two and your motor will run right.

Here as some pics if you still do not understand.

Maf:
http://www.fordfestiva.com/members/Tech ... madptr.JPG

Vaf (black peice):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 8_full.jpg
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

Will my mx-3 gs exhaust bolt onto this engine, any mods to the motor mounts? and can i still use my clutch or need a better one? i know basically i will need the ecu and vaf off the 626 also, anything else?

i have tried to read the faqs and searches but all i am finding is for the klze mod.

the 626 motor has 164 horses and 160 lb torque so i should be able to see a difference over my k8 correct? and i should be replacing the seals also.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

wvurubberducky wrote:Will my mx-3 gs exhaust bolt onto this engine, any mods to the motor mounts? and can i still use my clutch or need a better one? i know basically i will need the ecu and vaf off the 626 also, anything else?

i have tried to read the faqs and searches but all i am finding is for the klze mod.

the 626 motor has 164 horses and 160 lb torque so i should be able to see a difference over my k8 correct? and i should be replacing the seals also.
Just rape the 626, grab everything that is connected to that motor. As far mounts, use the MX3 mounts, they will bolt up as the block is the same. You may want to also consider putting uranthane in them so they can handle the extra torque. I also recommend that you upgrade to a better ford probe (cheaper) clutch, but use the MX3 flywheel as it is lighter then stock DE one. You WILL feel the difference in that motor compared to the stock 1.8L.

As far as the swap goes, just follow any KLZE swap guide as it is the same procedure minus a few sensors. Once you get doing it, it will not be that bad you will see.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Hey are you by any chance from a Honda CRX forum?
Just curoius
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:Hey are you by any chance from a Honda CRX forum?
Just curoius
nah, not I if your asking.
wvurubberducky

clutch issue

Post by wvurubberducky »

I replaced the clutch last year and all i could really re-need as of right now is the throw out bearing (makes a noise when in nuetral a lil)...but here is my question, Should i stay with the clutch i have now or try to get one for like a 2.5L 626(motor i will be replacing my k8 with) and will it fit in my manual trans w/o any issues? I may re-use my flywheel as stated. I wanna make sure these would fit b/c it took like 9 tries to get the correct clutch for my car when it was replaced. Also i will be replacing the bolts, valve cover seal, plugs, anything else recommended ona limited student income??? :D

here is the link to one on ebay for a 626...seem good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTR-STAG ... dZViewItem

or replace my k8 with an exedy off ebay, good clutches?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-CL ... dZViewItem
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What clutch you runing on your K8? 2.5 clutches work no problem with no modifications
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

I'm just running a clutch from your local advance auto parts, it doesnt slip or anything and is still working well. It's for the 1.8L....if it's best to upgrade to the 2.5L probe gt/626 clutch like on the ebay link i can prob make that but if i can use mine still with no problems i'd like to keep it.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You can run your 1.8L one but it will burn off fast, it cannot handle the power or torque of that motor. Get a good clutch like ACT, spec, clutchmasters or cetnerforce for a ford probe or mx6, that will be a better bet. Easier to change the clutch when the tranny and motor is out of the car!
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

solo_ryder wrote:You can run your 1.8L one but it will burn off fast, it cannot handle the power or torque of that motor. Get a good clutch like ACT, spec, clutchmasters or cetnerforce for a ford probe or mx6, that will be a better bet. Easier to change the clutch when the tranny and motor is out of the car!
for the 2.5L probe or 626 while having the 1.8L mx3- trans, will it fit properly?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man, mornally I dont say this, but you really need to use the search, all yours are generic questions that get asked weekly, and should even be answered in the FAQ, There's plenty, plenty of of information regarding KL swaps, they've been done hundreds of times.

The 2.5L motor works with the Mx-3 trans no problem, could even swap to a Mx-6/626 trans if you want longer gearing (Probe is the same ratio as the Mx-3). Your choice to use an Mx-3 clutch and/or flywheel or not. 2.5L clutches are 10mm larger in diameter (same price usually compared to the Mx-3 clutch), and the Mx-3 flywheel is lighter, and is a common mod for Probe/Mx-6'ers. Betcha almost everyone here is using their stock Mx-3 gearbox.
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

K guys, here is the deal...i am going to help pull the 93 626 motor out this weekend and i am getting it for $350 :-D.

Here is the list i know i need already:

1. replace hoses and belts. timing??
2. Get a probe gt clutch 93?? still using my mx-3 mtx
3. get the ecu and vaf from the 626
4. i have to use my k8 intake manifold/exhaust...need new gaskets??
5. fill motor mounts with uranthane.
6. use the k8 disty/wires or 626 wires.
7. Move move knock sensor from passenger to driver side?? (what does this look like)
8. use mx-3 coolant neck off radiator for third coolant sensor( if needed, ecu may correct it)

Please correct me if i'm worng or if i may need to do anything else. Also i can just put on the harmonic balancer onto the mx-3 motor till my swap correct, as it is supposed to interchange.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”