KL & K8 Head Measurements

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Slammed6

KL & K8 Head Measurements

Post by Slammed6 »

I have been searching all over the web for this info can someone help me out.

I need to know the CC of a K8 Head Combustion chamber, also if you have the CC for a KL Head Combustion Chamber that would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone knows the thickness of a stock Mazda KL head gasket i would appreciate that as well.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

i ahve head gaskets in my garage. i will take measurements for ya 2morrow!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Thanks.

I have a set of KLZE heads on the block in my storage, i guess i will just remove them and get them cc'd...unless someone can help me out.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

heres a post i found by David Coleman in aug 01 some k8 info
Hey all,<P>I've just been milling around in my head ideas for K8 tuning, and I figured <BR>I'd bounce my latest one off of you. I'd like to put a KL crank and rods in <BR>a K8. Doing the calculations shows that the K8 stock combustion chamber is <BR>about 33.42cc's, with the swept volume being 307.48cc and the CR being <BR>9.2:1. Swapping to the 74.2mm stroke over the stock K8 stroke of 69.6mm <BR>will bring the swept volume to 327.81cc and the CR 9.8:1. The motor's <BR>displacement with the KL stroke/K8 bore would be 1967cc's. With a 9.8:1 <BR>compression ratio and almost 2 litres of displacement, I'd think that would <BR>be a very torquey motor for street driving with hopefully 120 ft/lbs of <BR>torque at around 5000RPM or so.<P>I don't believe this would be too expensive, as I can get KL bottom end <BR>parts from some probers for dirt cheap after they part out their KL03's when <BR>they swap to ZE's. They can usually get rid of the top end of the motor, <BR>but 90% of them get stuck with the bottom end sitting in their garage. So <BR>demand is low, supply is high. I would wager that the most I would spend <BR>for a KL crank and 6 rods would be $200USD. I'm picking up some old K8 <BR>heads to do a little port and polish work to; mostly line of sight, cleaning <BR>up port work. However, if I were to build up a KL/K8 hybrid, I suspect that <BR>larger ports to offset the small valves would be good for the increased <BR>swept volume. So for under $300USD for the main parts, I could have a nice <BR>torque boost for less than my clutch cost. Of course, I don't know what <BR>bearings and gaskets I'll have to replace.<P>A long time ago I posted about a KL crank/rods in a K8, in my early, <BR>ignorant days of MX-3 tuning . If I recall correctly, Vaughn mentioned <BR>that it would be alot of work. Something about grinding the block for <BR>clearance or something. I'm not sure if I want to do that. I just crunched <BR>the numbers this morning; I'll be looking at my shop manual this week and <BR>looking at what parts specifically will need to be replaced, as I've never <BR>even seen a crank in a car. Yet. Currently a KL swap is out of the <BR>question for economic reasons; I'm not going to buy a cheap KL03 for $800 <BR>now when I can wait till I graduate and pick up a ZE or build up an 03. I <BR>suppose in my 20 years I've developed a wee bit of practicality. But not <BR>enough to prevent me from tweaking my K8 powered EC into a strong street <BR>car!<P>So do you guys have any comments or suggestions?<BR><P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><A><B><I>Wu Name</I></B></A>
orignal post:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... oker+motor

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”