big brake upgrades?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mx3

big brake upgrades?

Post by mx3 »

is there any brake conversions we can do for the mx3?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

a few, regardless, looking around $1500US for the kits
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Is it worth it? I mean, stopping power is always great, but for the money you spend, would it be worth the cost? I've wanted to have bigger brakes myself, but that's a chunk of change there.
No more MX-3.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Unless your making like 400hp, I dont think so, nothing some nice good rotors and some kickass pads can't do. I got myself some PBR Ceramic pads and Brembo Cross-Drill & Slotted rotors (although there is contraversy over the benefits of drilled and slotted, I wanted to give them a try) and I'm super happy with their braking ability. As well, make sure your calipers are in good working order (Fronts are cheap, around C$50 each after core, but the rears are pricey). And check your lines, I got new ones at the same time i did the pads (I *needed* brake and fuel lines, damn Canadian winters). Could always go with some stainless braided lines as well, I didn't because of misinformation on availability and I a limited time frame. As well, good tires should help, regardless of the brakes, the rubbers on the tires need to grip the road as well, not only for acceleration and cornering, but for braking too.

But anyway, just using the best possible parts and making sure the sytem is all in proper working order will improve your braking considerbly. Remember our cars are 11-15 yrs old, especially if yours parts are original, they wont be working like they we're new.

There was an article someone posted way back about about the pro's and con's about big brakes...somone did a comparison test, and if i remember right, what ended up happening the benefits of the larger brakes got voided out from the extra rotational mass of the larger, heavier rotors. (i guess that would be one plus side of drilled and slotted rotors). I'm personally very satisfied with my car's braking potential in both street and racing applications, but there are other rotors and pads you can use as well. Search for big brake kits, you should find many discussions about it, and as well, more feasable alternatives and options in upgrading your braking system.

If you are still interested, I believe CorkSport has them.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

dont crap out on your brake pads either, get best ones you can. I wish I did.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kenken

Post by kenken »

how bout rx7 caliper and rotors? there's a ford tx3 and a 323 gtr using those in my college.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

it is possible to adapt some RX7 calipers & 11" rotors (best i found were VW corrado rotors, 4x100 pattern & 11" diameter). HOWEVER..you need to fabricate your own brackets that will let you bolt on the RX7 calipers. You'll need to space the caliper outward about 1/2-1". The bracket should be pretty damn beefy seeing how the caliper is what grabs the rotor. Getting all this to work will take some precise measuring since the offset of the corrado rotors is probably different as well.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
kenken

Post by kenken »

well..in my country, they drill holes on the rotor to make it 4x100. one more, to deal with the offset problem, the tx3 that i saw, the owner cut the rotor(the centre part,is it called the hub?), shortened it, and tightened it with allen screws. the concept is something like using a 2 pieces rotor..
i was thinking if theres an easier way to do this, i will put this brake set in.
Cy

Post by Cy »

kenken wrote:well..in my country, they drill holes on the rotor to make it 4x100. one more, to deal with the offset problem, the tx3 that i saw, the owner cut the rotor(the centre part,is it called the hub?), shortened it, and tightened it with allen screws. the concept is something like using a 2 pieces rotor..
i was thinking if theres an easier way to do this, i will put this brake set in.
he'd have to be a machinist to NOT get vibrations...

Rotor warp of even .001" is noticable in high-speed braking

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”