how hard is it to replace a fron pas. wheel bearing???

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
delpy32

how hard is it to replace a fron pas. wheel bearing???

Post by delpy32 »

i found out that they are like the ford wheel bearings and that they are press in. i was wandering if its possible without a press to do this job myself... and what i would need to make this job any easier...
1992 rs
thanks
-Ryan
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

to be honest its a dodgey thing to do! cos they dont take kindly to hammers!

and removing it is the problem as if its stuck you need to heat the mount to expand the metal to remove the bearing
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

so i practically have to take it to a shop that will take it out and put the new one in...???
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

delpy32 wrote:so i practically have to take it to a shop that will take it out and put the new one in...???
Yup. Shop in my area has a 20ton press so I remove the steering knuckle myself, drop it by their shop along with the correct replacement bearing, and they press out the old & press in the new bearing for ~25-$30 per side. One other consideration though... the front axle nuts are pretty tough to remove. Be prepared to either use an impact wrench or a beefy 1/2" or 3/4" socket drive breaker bar to get enough leverage to remove em.
Image -Jim
twoie

Post by twoie »

If you don't use an impact wrench, pack a lunch! I had to cut one off with a dremel tool despite trying all other options.

twoie
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I work on my MX-3 and MOCA uses my garage quite a bit, but I bought a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight for just about 100 bucks. It does not come with the pressing tools, but those can be rented from Auto Zone for free. Not that hard to do if you have your own press. If one bearing is bad you should expect that the other is right behind it. I replace both bearings at the same time.
my .02, buy the tool since 2 bearings cost 60 to have a shop remove or 100 for the tool to do it myself = 40 more bucks and I can press all I want :)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Cy

Post by Cy »

i paid $20 to get it pressed out...and i used my 10" bench vise to press the new one in...

My rotor was rusted on to and it sounded like a gunshot when he broke the rust...lol
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

yea i got it in today...
i got a shop right up the street for me to do it for free...he said he knows my brother or something...he got the old one out...put the new one in and pressed the "hub"??? back on too
worked out real nice...since i didnt have anything to drive either it was nice that it was right down the street...
p.s. another machine shop i called today before i found the other guy told me they would do it for a couple dozen dohnuts...haha i laughed for like an hour...just thought id tell ya
thanks
-Ryan
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Very cool. You saved some bucks because having a mech do the entire repair is ~$225-250 USD per side.
Image -Jim
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

yea my shop told me the part ($45) plus like 2 hours labor which is like ($165) or something
so i only paid 45 for the part...saved 120...pretty shweet...hehe

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”