power steering/water pump belt tensioner....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wvurubberducky

power steering/water pump belt tensioner....

Post by wvurubberducky »

Today on the way to pittsburg i lost my power steering/water pump belt on the interstate....luckily i was just about 2 miles from the mazda shop located on the way so i turned on the heater to help and coasted the car as much as possible. A lil coolant leaked but not enough to make damage i believe on the seals.

Anyways i was looking for the porblem and noticed the belt was gone but is there supposed to be a tensioner located behind the harmonic balancer on the smooth pulley for that belt lay-out? i noticed that the pulley is able to slide on a track but there wasnt a bolt, the guy at the shop said there wasn't but it seems as if there should be a tensioner there. Hopefully one of you guys can help and know what i'm talking about. I plan on putting another belt on tommorrow and seeing if it'll stay on.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yeah mine fell out, i ahd to get as replacement from a probe gt.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

should there be a lil metal lip to keep the belt from sliding off like on the smooth tensioner part for the alternotr? i see the wheel is smooth but no lip at the edge to keep the belt from sliding off. just wondering.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Nope, mine's smooth. I broke my tensioner bolt this weekend while trying to change my water pump. The wrecking yard had a replacement but wasn't willing to help me get it off as they were about to close (the engine was resting on it). Thankfully a guy at work used a tap & die set to modify a bolt and then welded it in and made it work, sorta. Oh, and that's not a recommendation to weld on this part. Most of it is aluminum with magnesium in it, so it'll sparkle prettily while melting. .
Cody
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

ah, i won't weld on it...i think i'll go and put the belt back on, run the car a lil to see if it moves and if it doesnt i'll bring it back home and order the replacement bolt through mazda monday. Do yo guys think the 4 cylinder would have this bolt? there are 2 of them here at a local junkyard?? ( and anyone who needs body parts or anything off a 4 cylinder let me know and i can prob get them and ship them)

my car has 211,000 miles and i've never replaced this belt, while replacing the harmonic balancer the belt wasn't put on right and i tried to start it once while the belt was 1/2 off the track with the grooves so i think this weakened it and it just snapped and came off? would you guys thinkk this is an old belt and just broke or something went bad?
wvurubberducky

Post by wvurubberducky »

So i went and put the belt on today, as i started and ran the car the belt wanted to move over about an 1/8th of an inch and run one groove over the rear pulley, i placed it back on 3-4 more times and every time it would slide off a notch. Do you guys think that the after-market pulley is brining the belt over and off alignment? any clues to what i should do about this?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”