Eclipse GSX

Off-Topic Discussions
o0loopy0o

Eclipse GSX

Post by o0loopy0o »

Hey guys, i was thinking about buying a 95 GSX and i was just wondering if anyone knows of any pros or cons to that car.

Are they reliable? Fast? How do they compare to a MXZE?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Interesting, so this is a US car right?

Reliable, maybe... The dsm are well known for having problems all over the place, electrical, tranny, motor etc. If this is a newer DSM (3rd gen) they also have a 7 bolt motor and they tend to get crankwalk if given to much power. However, if you keep it stock then it should be ok. IIRC a kl mx3 would walk a TSI talon.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

theyre known for being able to make them fast for cheap
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

Check for rust around the front strut towers, oil leaks are common at the turbos oil return line (not a big deal), and check for past owner modifications.

The biggest problem with TSI's and GST/GSX's is imporper modifications. It is true that they can be made real fast for real cheap, but if you do cheap work the car will never see the road for more than a few weeks before you get ready to sell it.

The '95's are the first of the Second gen DSM's (no such thing as a 3g dsm) and it has a '7bolt' motor and is likley to crankwalk (stock or not) if not taken care of. Take care of it and keep up with your timing belt changes. A well maintained stock GSX is much nicer than a carelessly modded one.

There are tons of forums with lots of information to gather. Check out http://vfaq.com/

Got any pictures or an asking price?
1993 RS Teal
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

How is it not 3rd gen? I was referring to the body styles, 1st gen had flip lights, 2nd had normal lights, then 3rd gen had the new body style.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

I guess if you look at it that way it could be considered a 3rd gen.

Most view it as pre '94 (flip up lights or not) are 1st gens, and 95+ are 2nd gens.
1993 RS Teal
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

1990-1994 are 1st gen dsm... 95+ are 2nd gen.. from 1992.5 years and up came with a 7 bolt crank and have be known to have crankwalk although it hasnt happend to happen often it still is possible for the 92.5 years up becuz 2nd design of the 4G63 engine had a flaw where the crank doesnt sit perfectly in the ''crankshaft mounts'' lol i cant think of that word right now im to tired.. timing belt has been issues on the 4G motors so keep up to the dates there to be replaced transmissions have alot of issues with the syncros going on them so they tend to grind gears after a lil while.. remember if u treat the talon bad it will treat u bad there very picky cars.. another common problem is the drivers side window not being able to be cranked up or down as over time the doors i guess deform in a way and pushes against the window preventing it from being able to slide freely.. a bone stock talon or eclipse against a ZE mx3 does well but the ZE mx3 is faster (tsi awd) but with very ver little modding to the eclipse or talon it is easily made faster than the mx3 there great cars if u just wanna go fast for cheap there a more down to buisness car be prepared to spend cash and wrenchin on it..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Just about any car can be cheap for speed.

I can get a KLZE, replace the external parts (belts, water pump, ect) and turbo it for cheap. Be running 13s in no time.

Same goes for any other car
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I wish I could..... Still saving. Damnit, mod monkey distracts me all the time.
Cody
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

A while back when I was looking into a Talon TSI, I was doing a little research and heard that the synchros in the tranny were weak or something. I dunno, something to look into as well.
No more MX-3.

Return to “Off-Topic”