Replacing Alternator

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
piper177

Replacing Alternator

Post by piper177 »

I am getting a squeel from my belts and my alternator belt actually snapped yesterday so I had it towed home. I replaced it this morning, drove 5 minutes and it snapped AGAIN. I had it towed home again and this time I took a closer look. and my alternator pulley doesn't turn as easy as the other ones, plus it gets really hot.

So on to my question... I know I need a new alternator, or at least a pulley. So I have 2 questions

1. If I want to replace the alternator is it the only the one bolt on the top I need to take out... or is there another on the bottom or something?

2. If the alternator is more difficult to switch out than I thought how hard would it be to just replace the pulley it's self?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i would check belt tension first just to make sure you dont have it too tight. if its not turning that easily maybe the bearings are shot but you would probably get a noise from it.

for removing it there is one 14mm bolt on the bottom that connects to the oil pump and 2x 12mm bolts for the tension. loosen the bottom bolts then the front bolt and then when it is loose just loosin the 12mm bolt that faces the firewall and that should make the belt loose enough to take off.

if you want you can switch out your 4cylinder alternator for a v6. its a bolt on

hope that helps
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have been fighting this problem since I've had my MX-3. When I lost the belt it had when I got it, I went with the over the counter part store replacement and it lasted about 3 days. I got them to replace it and the second one lasted about half a day. Then I got a Good Year Gator Back and that did well for the past year and a half or so, but now it's stretched out and squeeling again. Last week I went and got another Gator Back and it lasted about half an hour. I also noticed last year that the alt pulley spins harder than I thought it should, so I compared it to a new factory unit at my local dealer and found that there was no difference.

I've read people having this problem lots and all the solutions seem to say the same thing.

1. Make double sure the tension is correct. You should have a little less than an inch of deflection in the belt between the Alt pulley and the Water Pump pulley when cold. Too tight is worse than a little loose.

2. Make sure your pulleys are clean and well aligned. Poor alignment will kill a new belt in no time.

3. Try some belt conditioner.

4. Some people have said that the only belt that doesn't sqeale is the factory one. I'll be trying one out later this week.

Wytbishop
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

You could have a bad pulley, bad tensioner, or a bad bearing iny our alternator.

I had mine snap once. When trying to replace it, the tensioner was missing.

After 4 trips to Autozone to get the right belt from 3 different stores, my tensioner was missing. I had to order one from mazda and it came by 5pm. Installed it, started the car, and the belt burned up!!! turns out the alternator had a bad bearing, causing a vibration, causing the tensioner to shake and come loose and fall, and so on and so on.

I ended up spending 15 hrs under a car in a mcdonalds parking lot. I had to tow it to mazda cause I didnt have the tools to get the exhaust off to remove the alternator. Than and I was too exhausted to even attempt it.
1fastmx3

Post by 1fastmx3 »

I have had the same problem with my car and I was told that it was my alternator pulley but it turns out that it wasn't the problem at all. I'm still trying to find out what my problem is. Yeah Barry I was having a problem getting the alternator out too. Turns out I had to take my exhaust off to get the alternator to fit out the bottom. I was having the same problem with the Goodyear Gator back belt. Read about my problem at Repeating Alternating belt snapping. Let me know if you guys get a resolution to this problem because I'm having one heck of a problem with this thing. I appriciate it guys. I hope we can get our problems resolved so that we can rock our Mx-3's.
piper177

Post by piper177 »

I solved my own problem....

I removed the alternator and had it tested. It failed the test right away because of a poor electrical circuit, so I got a new one and threw that in. Car is running excellent now.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

awesome to hear you got it running, ya ive been through 3 reman. alternators in like a 15 months. all from autozone haha
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If the new factory belt doesn't solve the problem I'm gonna go ahead and get a new Alternator. I've been fighting it for a while now...but I think that's where it's headed.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i have a gatorback for my P/S and i cant remember for my alternator belt. it snapped a long time ago and my alternator was bad. i think the bearings went because it was making a whining sound, and not charging that well. watch out for autozone and kragen alternators ive been through 3 of them.
1fastmx3

Post by 1fastmx3 »

Autozone is where i just got mine on wednesday, I haven't driven my car in a few days cause i don't want that crap snapping on me again, but tonight I'm going to take her for a ride again and I hope this problem has been resolved for me.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well good luck hope it goes well. ya never good getting stranded, make sure to bring your tools and a light with you.
piper177

Post by piper177 »

If you think it might be your alternator then make sure you get it tested before you buy a new one... specially since parte are so expensive for our cars.

I don't know about the US but in Canada places like Canadian Tire and Partsource will do it for free...
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya autozone should do it for free. they did last time i was there, just to make sure
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

put a new factory alt belt on Saturday and I dunno what the difference is but it's perfect. No sqealing, not heating up at all...so there you go. I also compared my bearing to a factury rebuilt alternator at the dealership and as before it was exactly the same.

I think my problem is solved.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
piper177

Post by piper177 »

Congrats on solving the problem man

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”