Any Autocrossers or Road Racers?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Jiveslug

Any Autocrossers or Road Racers?

Post by Jiveslug »

What's up gang. I just picked up my 93 GS track car last weekend. Ok, it's not a track car YET, but it's going to be. Anyway, I am wondering if anyone here autocrosses or road races their MX3. I am looking at starting off in H Stock Solo competition as well as doing some track days. From there it will either be SCCA ITA or NASA PT racing (depends on if I do the 2.5L engine swap). Anyone have any experience or advice they want to share about racing these little beasts? I am really looking forward to my first autox!

Ryan
m0rpheus666

Post by m0rpheus666 »

i have not been to, or driven in an autox competition but that is going to change this spring. I was planning on going to my first one in Nov 06' but a bad tie rod end stopped that. I have it all fixed now and am going to the first one in my area, which i hear is the 25th of March. Other than that i only know some basic things. add a few pound of air to each of your tires, like 40psi a tire, to help prevent tire roll in sharp turns. other than that im not too sure about anything else.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

I autocrossed in Street Mod in the Atlanta Region SCCA. I have a ZE and GC coilovers on my street tires. I was decently competitive...I finished 5th out of I think 12 that qualified for the Championship by completing at least 7 events. The whole time I was thinking how much butt I would be able to whip in a stock class. I thought the GS was categorized in G Stock in the SCCA but I could be wrong. It is a great little car for Auto-xing but what I have learned about Auto-x is that it is way...WAY more important to have a good driver. There are guys out there that can get in your car and put down a time a full 4,5,6 seconds faster than you depending on your skill level. That said the mx-3 is a good platform and you should have a blast with all the civics.

As far as Road Racing. I have never done any with NASA or SCCA but have done HPDE two years in a row now at Roebling Road in Savannah last year with ZE and stock suspension and this year with the GC's. Must say that it goes like a dream!!! Again skill comes into play, but I don't believe the that mx-3 would be competitive in the SCCA road racing. I think that it is classed with cars with much more potential...The Acura Integra Type R if I remember correctly. You would likely get waxed even if you honed your skill to a razors edge.

With all of that said, both are a tremendous amount of fun and that is the only reason that I do it. I mean...I run in SM with modded Mini Cooper S's on R compounds that ran rings around me all season....Yeah, ok, they were good drivers too. Anyway...get out there and enjoy your car the way it was supposed to be enjoyed in a safe but fast environment.

Good luck with which ever route you go.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I track my car too and look forward to the Auto-X season, but same as Chris, the car is not set-up to compete at the top of a class so I'm also in Street Mod. Tough class, but fun none the less. Tracks are more fun for me since the fun lasts longer, but it so terribly expensive... The MX can hold up to a good bit of abuse IMO. Mine has done well so far ;) In the HPDEs we (MOCA) run pretty close to top competitors in the provisional field. However, the class of cars is much greater. I am quite sure that we had the cheapest cars last time out. Vipers, C6-Z06s, Porshe GTs and many other bad a-- cars. Fun to watch those classes, but don't have any interest in getting on the track with them.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Perry...You are such an A-hole. :lol: You just had to post the shots of my vacum cleaner fram air filter didn't you. By the way...it is still on there HAHAHAHA! I need to order another one but keep forgeting...out of sight out of mind and I notice no difference in the performance. Didn't hurt at Roebling either.

Man, I do love that video though...too bad I was trying to keep quiet and still DNFed for sound.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Forgot to post these too...

http://www.atlantamx3.com/events/2006ro ... trackday1/

Hey man- I only report the news- and your vacuum cleaner air intake filter is NEWS!

LOL
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've done it a few times last year (as much as I could really), and it was amazing fun. I was classed as "C-Mod" which is basically completely modified, so I'm up against the supercharged Miata's, which basically dominate the sport, but I though I was farily competitive for only been out twice. If i remember right, the fastest time was a 42 second lap, which I was a few hundreds of a second to get into 48's. I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but my front tires we're almost bald, so all the sticky rubber was gone, but was more of a reason to just wear them out, but I got new tires all around waiting on the side. Hoping to get my LSD tranny w/new clutch and Fidenza flywheel done for spring. Can't wait to see what's that's like. I'm hoping to upgrade my B&G to the stiffer H+R's as well. I'm desperately trying to find the SRD front crossmember, it's unfortunately been disco'd sometime between fall and now,

Although it's recommended to keep the car as is and just try chaning your driving and learn from experience. I couldn't help not too and played around with tire pressure, So farm my best and most fun combo was keeping the front rock hard (50psi) and i dropped the rears (max 44psi) to 25, and she would oversteer like a mofo, was sliding and 4-wheel drifting around corners it was so much fun, I wish I had a video camera. But i'll tell you, the runs I had the most fun on I had my best times. I'll probably put it a bit harder in the rears since she was loose in the slaloms so I couldn't go as fast, but having the rears slide out to rotate around corners seemed to work extremely well.

Oh, and make sure everything loose is either tied down tight, or out of the car. My rear battery came loose and broke one of my trunk pannels :?

I haven't had the pleasure of going to a track, but I've cruised in the Quebec mountains with the Rx-7 club guys. Look forward to going again this year, but I have no problems being in the fast pack

My favorite pic of my car :)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ice Racing

Road Racer

Post by Ice Racing »

Our first race is this coming Saturday. We just completed the car tomorrow :)

GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: Road Racer

Post by atlantamx3 »

Ice Racing wrote:Our first race is this coming Saturday. We just completed the car tomorrow :)
You just completed the car tomorrow?

How can you have just completed something in the future?

LOL
~Perry
Please visit
Ice Racing

road racer

Post by Ice Racing »

You have to work very very late and realy believe that you are gonna be ready on time then you can say : was finish tomorrow :freak:
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Yah, i haven't auto Xed yet, but i'm goin' out this summer forsure now that i have my KLZE and eibach/tokico's in. Can't WAIT.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: road racer

Post by atlantamx3 »

Ice Racing wrote:You have to work very very late and realy believe that you are gonna be ready on time then you can say : was finish tomorrow :freak:
LOL- nice answer.

:lol:

Car looks cool- I would love to see some pics of it in action once the season starts.
~Perry
Please visit
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Iv'e recently been doing NASA events, HPDEs to get my license.
Love it! The car gets a lot of attention and praise even from the Euro guys. Running sears point next week, can't wait.
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

That should be a fun track. Take some pics or video if you get a chance.
I just started my first Auto-X season to give me some time between the tracks (getting married so tracks are probably out this year :cry: ). Anyway, SCCA stinks. I have to compete against modded WRXs and all sorts of super powerful cars. Still a blast though. We recently held a competition between several ATL car clubs, WRX Atlanta and S2000ATL, got our asses handed to us, but I think they cheated. Two classes only, street tires and racing tires. I have some DOT rated Kumho track tires, but decided to go with the Falken Azenis. Some fool in the street tires class got a better time than the race prepped Pros on slicks... pft, definately a cheater.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”