Swap MPV engine into an mx-3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Swap MPV engine into an mx-3

Post by OROutdoors »

Has anyone every swapped a 2.4L i4 engine from a 90-94 MPV into an mx-3? There's an MPV available for a pittance in Portland. I noted that some info from a consumer's guide on the engine says it only has 122 hp though. I suspect the engine is built of torque rather than HP. Would the engine even fit in an mx-3? Any reason to do it or not to?

Thanks!
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

For the love of God.

The BP has 127 and is a direct bolt in.

Why would yo uput something wil less HP and takes more work and $??
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

atlantamx3 wrote:For the love of God.

Why would yo uput something wil less HP and takes more work and $??
Exactly! And you have a 93, so you even use the stock harness. Even better is that they came turbo-ready, and you can even find turbo versions of the BP, the BPT @ 180hp (GTX) and 210hp (GTR)

For what I can find, from 1988-1994 it was a 2.6L 4Cyl, not 2.4L. Plus, it's RWD, based off the 929 platform, which has nothing in common with the Mx-3, so you'd have to convert the Mx-3 to RWD, have fun with that.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: Swap MPV engine into an mx-3

Post by mr1in6billion »

OROutdoors wrote:Has anyone every swapped a 2.4L i4 engine from a 90-94 MPV into an mx-3? There's an MPV available for a pittance in Portland. I noted that some info from a consumer's guide on the engine says it only has 122 hp though. I suspect the engine is built of torque rather than HP. Would the engine even fit in an mx-3? Any reason to do it or not to?
Are we talking Mazda MPV?? For one thing the MPV came in AWD and RWD versions, I don't think it became FWD untill around '98-'00 or something, which would be a problem. There was a v6 version with 150hp which probably isn't much bigger than the I4, but even then the engines were built for low end power and redline at 5.5k or some incredibly low number. It would be neat to see what the engine is possible of doing, but you should stick with the standard swaps.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

That is plug and play for you bud
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

atlantamx3 wrote:For the love of God.

I am LMAO!
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: ... which has nothing in common with the Mx-3, so you'd have to convert the Mx-3 to RWD, have fun with that.
I am still laughing at the responses... Hmmm... If the mx-3 was converted into RWD, then it could be drifted... hehehe... I just read that long and lengthy thread about "can't drift an mx-3 -- GOOD!" Let's get that debate going again... Hehehe.
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

oh dear god not that thread!! :?

Mx-3's have been converted to AWD since they do share alot of the same chassis at the AWD 323/Protege. There's a thread just a few below this one (and many others if you do a search) about converting to RWD, and not feasable (or *not*) is it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

mr1in6billion wrote:
OROutdoors wrote:Has anyone every swapped a 2.4L i4 engine from a 90-94 MPV into an mx-3? There's an MPV available for a pittance in Portland. I noted that some info from a consumer's guide on the engine says it only has 122 hp though. I suspect the engine is built of torque rather than HP. Would the engine even fit in an mx-3? Any reason to do it or not to?
Are we talking Mazda MPV?? For one thing the MPV came in AWD and RWD versions, I don't think it became FWD untill around '98-'00 or something, which would be a problem. There was a v6 version with 150hp which probably isn't much bigger than the I4, but even then the engines were built for low end power and redline at 5.5k or some incredibly low number. It would be neat to see what the engine is possible of doing, but you should stick with the standard swaps.
The J series V-6 is a damn big engine physically it is about the size of a Ford 4.6L.

As for the 2.6 in the old MPV If you are going to pick a Mitsubishi drive train to swap pick a 4G63 at least it points the right direction
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Yoda wrote:
mr1in6billion wrote:
The J series V-6 is a damn big engine physically it is about the size of a Ford 4.6L.

As for the 2.6 in the old MPV If you are going to pick a Mitsubishi drive train to swap pick a 4G63 at least it points the right direction
It's 3 litres, but it's an sohc and doesn't seem bigger than the KL
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

WOW.....if your looking for something rewarding for a lot of work then put a 26B twin turbo with GT45R's, a power glide trans, ford 9" rear end w/ 4 link rear suspension, tubed out with wrinkle walls. :wink:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”