I-Beams vs. Pauter Rods

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I-Beams vs. Pauter Rods

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I understand that I-Beams are supposed to be really strong. How do Pauter rods compare to them? Do each type have pros and cons?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I-Beam rods are strong. Typically the H-Beam and Pauter-X Beam designs are the strongest. Eagle & Scat are big on the H-Beam design and usually hold up to 700+ HP. The Pauter rods have more center mass and larger radiuses making them arguably stronger and definately more aerodynamic. Most of them are made from a chromemoly type of steel. The Pauter rods for example are 4340 chromemoly forging with bronze wrist pin bushings. These rods are well priced at $784 for a set of 4. If you have a lot of extra money Pauter will make you a set of 4 Titanium rods for about $5400. The Titanium Rods are just as strong or stronger than the 4340 rods yet weigh 33% less!

If you break forged rods your probably detinating or went with a light weight version of the rods....very few will make enough actual HP & torque to break the rods...you'll likely break the rod bolts first if not detinating.

I don't recommend aluminum rods to most people as they are designed for race only use and typically have a short life compaired to steel and titanium rods.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Thanks for the enlightenment.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods

Return to “Forced Induction”