Rear hub bearing noise?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
racer3v
Supporting Member

Rear hub bearing noise?

Post by racer3v »

Has anyone had to replace the rear hub assembly in a 1993 with 4 wheel disc brakes? I keep being told that my car has to be an ABS vehicle but I have no sensors on the brakes for ABS so I am confused. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vinny
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

What do the bearing and ABs have to do with eachother?...
Yes, at our cars age it is very common to need new bearing front and rear. As for ABS your car might or might not have it. The sensors are located on the spindle not the brake line. The brake line ABS is a cheap immitation ABS that uses a pulsed brake signal to constanty simulate ABS. True ABS senses the rotation of the rotor and tells the master cylinder to back off some if the wheel quits spinning. (the type the MX has if it was chosen by the buyer when purchased new).
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
racer3v
Supporting Member

The difference

Post by racer3v »

The difference will be in the type of hub I need. I called around asking for the hub assembly and got asked did I have ABS. I said no but one guy looked it up and called his manufacturer and they said all MX-3s with the V-6 and 4 wheel disc have ABS but I have not found any sensors or wiring to indicate it has ABS. There are different part numbers so it must have a different part if you have ABS. I have not seen one in the junk yard that had ABS either to know what to look for besides a sensor and some wiring. All I have run to my rear disc brakes is a brake line and an emergency cable. Looks like any other none aBS setup to me but after the sales manager at National Auto told me it had to have ABS I figured I'd better ask. Thanks, Vinny
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I don't have ABS on my 93' GS. It was an option, not standard equipment. If you buy the ABS hub I doubt there is any difference other than the tab to attach the ABS sensor. Ask about the bearing size. If they are the same then you are most likely ok to buy the hub with ABS and use it on your non-ABS car. Ask about return too. You don;t want to be stuck with the hub if it won't fit. I know that Rock Auto and some other parts stores carry the non-ABS hubs so you may want to check around if they won't let you return it. good luck.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

I dont have ABS on my '96 either.

kinda glad....i hate it :wink:
pressomaz

Post by pressomaz »

i dunno if you can use this info but mine is a 91 presso auto and i wanted to replace front left hand cv , mine has 4 wheel disc's , anyway went to the wreckers and they had one there same as mine except it was abs , only difference was tab holding pulse sensor and the sensor when which just looks like a big cog , anyway pulled the cv unit out knocked off the cog and put it in mine , everything matched perfectly.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”