Clearances

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Clearances

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

How would I open up the clearance between the rods and the crankshaft? Would I just order special bearings or have the regular ones machined...? Also, I have heard that it is a good idea to open up the #6 oil journal to prevent oil starvation. How much is a safe amount to open it up? This is assuming that I use a shimmed MazdaSpeed High-Volume oil pump.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

where can i get a mazdaspeed high volume pump?? is this for the kl?
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Derrick Ambrose @ Corksport would know if there is a Mazdaspeed oil pump available for the V6's. If you shim the oil pump about .200"...especially the MS pump if available...then you shouldn't have oil starvation problems. One thing you can do is radius all the main gallies and ream them to a smooth concentric diameter, even enlarge them a bit. This will lower friction and increase oil volume delivered.

As for opening up clearances you can contact Jerry or another member @ Calico Coatings. Get the ACL extra clearance Race Series bearings and have them coated with the Calico CT-1 Dry Film coating.
http://www.calicocoatings.com
Toll Free: 1-888-236-6079
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I haven't checked for myself yet to see if the MS pump is available. I just remember someone talking about one somewhere. Could be for a different engine though...
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

It was me talking about them. The one I have is for the B6 small crank snout. They are supposed to have about a 30% higher volume flow than the OEM oil pump. I then shimmed the bypass spring seat about .200" to drastically raise the oil pressure. By raising the oil pressure it helps prevent the crank, mains, and rods from crashing into the bearing surfaces. It also helps keep the hydraulic lifters pumped up at higher RPMs. I wind mine up to 8,000rpm using short duration high lift web cams. So far even after 15,000 miles I have had no problems.
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

on probetalk they were sayin to open up the #6 oil passage 1mm
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I almost wonder if I should get a BP rather than a ZE. It seems like there are so many better parts available for it at lower costs (ARP Studs...).
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

There is an old say...."There is no replacement for displacement". The closest anyone came to disproving it was when the rotary engine came to life.

What I'm wondering is WHY they are opening up the #6 journal. If it is due to oil starvation the next question is why? I'd guess maybe the oil pump volume and/or pressure may be just barely capible of doing the job. Switching to a high volume pump or gearset (if available) and/or raising the oil pressure may cure it. It is probably lossed to much pressure by the time it gets to that journal would by my assumption.

What kind of power are you looking to make and what are you looking to use the car for?
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

thats the bearingmost prone to spinning from oil starvation...so a little extra oil there could never hurt
a stock oil pump with a 3mm shim should be enough oil for most people and the stock are alot better than those toga POS pump
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

EGTs are somewhat of a requirement if you want to to push a tune to the limit. Would it be pretty safe to go with a A/F ratio that is a little richer than the approximate optimal ratio in the case that EGTs are not present? If so, does anyone know where that limit is approximately for the average ZE? Would something like 13:1 be a safe tune?
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

for boost or N/A
i think 10.5 to 11.5 a/f at WOT under boost would be pretty safe
13.0 is definatle cuttin it close if your boosting but good for n/a
Its in the timin too you can run more or less timin with a leaner or richer fuel mixtre to make up for it but thats where the egt would come in handy so you can find a good balance for both
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I will eventually be boosting. Might be tuned N/A for a little while though while I'm getting money and parts for the turbo setup next summer. I was thinking of using a AEM or a MoTeC so I could use EGTs, but, if it's safe to run high boost with a conservative AFR with the only loss being a little power, A Haltech or something similar might be more practical for my purposes. My main concern is that it remains reliable.
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

you can get a seperate egt system and use MSnS with a wb02 and be good....really you could get away with just the wb02 and msns and get a safe tune thats all i'll be using with watter injection also

thats what i've come up with so far
i've spent atleast 8 hours a day for the last 3 months reading through probetalk for my engine build and turbo project
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

That's cool. I'll probably go with a Haltech though because it is easier to work with than MSnS and has more fuel points...
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

for $1500usd i would hope it was easier to work with :lol:
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T

Return to “Forced Induction”